Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
chrisBrindley
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Veeam proxy disk setup

Post by chrisBrindley »

I have been searching forum and i know there isn't one specific design for every setup, but was wondering if i could get a quick yes and no on this one.
We have the following scenario for our setup.
Vmware ESX5.1
Veeam Backup server, disabled proxy on this server. This server is connected via ISCSI to a nexsan for Backup repository only. Data is on EMC VNX storage (datastore locations)
6 backup proxy servers connected to same datastores as veeam backup server and all local vm servers,

So question is, Proxy servers backup using hotadd feature as they have direct access to all the datastores but they dont have direct access to the Nexsan for backup repository, this is only visible to the Veeam backup server, would the proxy servers benefit by having access to the NEXSAN backup repository, or does the backup files only get written to by the veeam backup server any how.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Veeam proxy disk setup

Post by veremin »

Hi, Chris. By giving to proxy servers a direct access to storage appliance, you will reduce the number of components involved – namely, backup server will be excluded from the backup traffic flow. Thanks.