Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
lemmy
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Lemmy

more first questions regarding replication?

Post by lemmy »

Hello,

We've successfully performed a backup job and a replication job. There are however some outstanding questions that still linger.

recap : We have a production environment in Boston (esx 5.1) and a hotsite in Philly (esx 5.1). Our objective is that have a handful of mission critical servers replicate to Philly on either an hourly or 3 hour window. The goal is to have virtual servers sitting in Philly that can turned on in case of disaster scenario.

* Do I properly understand that in order to do a replication job, I need to have a backup job before?
* Once I start doing replication, do I have a need to run the backup job again?
* would attempting to replicate every 15 minutes be overkill?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: more first questions regarding replication?

Post by veremin »

* Do I properly understand that in order to do a replication job, I need to have a backup job before?
No, you don’t. Though, you might want to do it in order to create a replica seed. For more information, kindly, refer to the User Guide (6.5 – p. 53, 7.0 – p.83).
* Once I start doing replication, do I have a need to run the backup job again?
It’s recommended to have both backup and replication jobs: replication jobs as the means of protecting the most crucial VMs, which should guarantee minimal RTO in DR situation, and backup jobs for other generic machines.
* Would attempting to replicate every 15 minutes be overkill?
It depends solely on required RTO/RPO. In this case of 15 min RTO, you can, probably, stick to “continuous” scenario, so that, the VB&R starts to replicate a given VM just after the previous replication cycle has finished.

Thanks.