Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
cstemaly
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Backup Copy - Transform taking forever

Post by cstemaly »

I have a transform that's been underway for over four hours now and is only 61% done.

The remote repository is connected via a 1Gb link.
The .vbk at the remote repository is 179GB, and there are two restore points of 11GB and 3GB respectively.

I don't have any GFS going on.

I have 4 other jobs that have transformation tasks (seemingly) stuck at 0%.

It's noon, and I have new jobs starting at 6pm that will need to copy over more restore points.

A couple of questions:
Why is it taking so long - are the other 4 0% jobs causing contention making them ALL run very slowly? I need to understand what's slowing it down because I have a 2.5TB job out there and I'm wondering how long it will take to process......
The only way to cancel that I see is to disable the job, but that says it will leave things in an inconsistent state. Is there any better way to make this stop?
I have 8 BackupCopyJobs. I think I should probably spread these out doing perhaps one/day. Thoughts?
cstemaly
Enthusiast

Re: Backup Copy - Transform taking forever

Post by cstemaly »

This topic doesn't answer my questions - can I request that it be un-merged, please?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

The transformation procedure is probably related to the retention policy you’ve specified. In your case, a given number seems to have been exceeded, and VB&R started to transform backup chain in order to free up space for a new restore point.

Also, it appears that such a number of backup copy jobs can’t be finished in certain period, so, it stands to reason to run them on different days.
The only way to cancel that I see is to disable the job, but that says it will leave things in an inconsistent state. Is there any better way to make this stop?
Nope, it’s the only way to stop them.

Thanks.
cstemaly
Enthusiast

Post by cstemaly »

Is there a way to start a transform manually (I checked the Powershell guide, promise!)?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6702 times

Post by Gostev »

No, this is not possible unfortunately. Transform has to happen every time Backup Copy job is done transferring the restore point.
And I've split this into the new topic as your requested, as indeed your transform performance issue is irrelevant to thread this was merged into.
cstemaly
Enthusiast

Post by cstemaly »

I should have been more clear in my issue's terminology.

The transformation is fine and has been running fine when it should. What was hanging/taking forever is the File Compact (which you should do every once in a while to prevent fragmentation).
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

I assume you run compact full operation once a week. However, I don’t think, that within a week corresponding backup file manages to grow large and/or get fragmented badly. So, unless you see a significant slows down in reading from/writing to operations in the end of the week, I’d say that you should be ok with running compact full once a month.

Thanks.