Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
craig.anderson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Craig Anderson

Data Ingestion Rate vs Network Throttle

Post by craig.anderson »

Trying to understand this a little better but I can't find a clarification. What exactly is the difference? Aside from the obvious fact that data ingestion only affects one repository whereas network throttle affects the whole range you specify, that is.

Here is my understanding but I'm hoping for confirmation or debunking.

Network Throttle limits the rate at which data will be moved over the network, but does not *necessarily* limit the rate at which data can be written to the stirage.

Data Ingestion limit will limit the rate at which ANY data is written to the drive.

Example Theory:

-Network Throttle will slow down an Active Full noticeably because all of the data must be moved trough the network
-A synthetic full running on the local transport agent will not be impacted because the data is not traveling over the network
-Data Ingestion will noticeably slow an Active Full for obvious reasons, but it will ALSO slow a synthetic full because it is limiting the rate at which data is written, not the rate it is transferred.

Is this true or do I misunderstand?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Data Ingestion Rate vs Network Throttle

Post by foggy »

Craig, your understanding is fully correct. I was not sure about synthetic full, however QC has confirmed that it also should be affected by the data ingestion rate on repository, as this value limits the overall allowed write speed for the Veeam transport service running on it. Thanks.