Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
terrance101
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

extremely slow replication

Post by terrance101 »

Hey all,

I know on the initial replications the data has to be hashed but I'm getting terrible throughput on a 20MB line. What can I check to see where it is going wrong (I mean these machines are literally taking more than a day to complete, and actually the majority of the time the replications fail because they eventually timeout). Is there any way to get around this?

nefes
Veeam Software
Liked: 162 times
Full Name: Nikita Efes

Re: extremely slow replication

Post by nefes »

Do you have Proxy servers on both source and target sites?
terrance101
Enthusiast

Post by terrance101 »

Yes. I have the replication server at the target site using itself as a proxy and a an individual proxy at the source site.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Network being the bottleneck means that network writer component is always busy spending most of the time pushing the data into the network, because there is always some data waiting to be sent over to the target. This means that your network throughtput is insufficient so I would pay attention at the network side of your environment. Does your link has available bandwidth that is not used by the job?
Probably, this topic would be useful in your case.

Also, you could play with compression level setting of the replication job to minimize the amount of data to be sent over the slow link.
terrance101
Enthusiast

Post by terrance101 » 1 person likes this post

Turns out it wasn't a network issue it is a veeam issue. Went looking through the forums and found that someone had this issue upgrading from 6 to 6.1 I believe. It turns out that the guy had to delete his old snapshots because this is what was causing the timeout. I have recently upgraded from 6.5 to 7 and the same thing started happening... weird huh, but there you go. Have had a replication running for over 24 hours now and it still hasn't timed out. Just an FYI for those experiencing this in future.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Thanks, Terrance, for coming back and updating the topic with the found resolution; much appreciated.