Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
domenicalvaro
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Domenic Alvaro

Appending to tape

Post by domenicalvaro »

Hi everyone,

I am currently testing v7 tape support using an Dell TL2000 tape library and LTO-5 tape drive. Everything is looking pretty good. What I'm not sure about is if/how tapes are appended.

I have a media pool with 5 tapes, which is configured to create a new media set for each backup session. The data is not protected and tapes are cyclically overwritten as required. When viewing the media pool, I can see a media set on each tape with the date of the backup. There is one set per tape.

Is it possible to have multiple backup sets per tape? If so, how do I configure the job to backup to Tape 1 until it is full before moving to Tape 2? Can a backup set span tapes?

Thanks,

Domenic
tfloor
Veteran
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Re: Appending to tape

Post by tfloor »

Try the other media set options, because you choose now the option to use a new tape for each jobrun. (session)
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, the problem seems to be related to the incorrect media set settings. As far as I can undertand, the following ones should meet your expectations:

• Do not create, always continue using current media set
• Do not protect data

Thanks.
domenicalvaro
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Domenic Alvaro

Post by domenicalvaro »

I tried those options, but the backup job just seems to overwrite the previous backup, rather than appending to the next tape.
tfloor
Veteran
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Post by tfloor »

domenicalvaro wrote:I tried those options, but the backup job just seems to overwrite the previous backup, rather than appending to the next tape.
You only need to select: Do not create, always continue using current media set

and then you can protect the data for several hours/days/months or whatever you need.

If all the jobs use the same media pool. it should append multiple jobs to the same tape first until there is no space anymore
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

domenicalvaro wrote:I tried those options, but the backup job just seems to overwrite the previous backup, rather than appending to the next tape.
With the "always continue using current media set" setting, data should be appended to the current tape until it is not full. When the tape is full and there are other tapes available in the pool, data will be written to them until there are no available tapes in the pool. Then either the oldest tape in the pool will be overwritten or a new tape from the Free poll selected (depending on the data protection settings). If you're observing different behavior, please kindly open a support case for investigation.