Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jp1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jonathan Palsi

VM constantly reboots in virtual lab

Post by jp1 »

I setup a virtual lab for my Exchange 2003 server and a DC. After some tinkering from Veeam support we were able to get everything up and running. Since then I've upgraded to v7 and now the Exchange VM is in a constant reboot cycle. Basically, the Windows 2008R2 DC boots up and stays running. The Windo2 2003/Exchange 2003 VM boots up, get to the CTRL-ALT-DELETE to login prompt, shuts itself down, and reboots. It just keeps right on doing this.

Any suggestions?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: VM constantly reboots in virtual lab

Post by veremin »

Hi, Jonathan. Have you already tried to recreate a given Surebackup job and see whether it helps or not? Thanks.
jp1
Enthusiast

Post by jp1 »

v.Eremin wrote:Hi, Jonathan. Have you already tried to recreate a given Surebackup job and see whether it helps or not? Thanks.
Just tried...same result. I'm thinking it might be something operating system related, but without being able to log into it, I can't tell much. I was able to remotely use Event Viewer, but that's not showing anything that points to whey it's rebooting.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Is the behaviour the same for all restore points or just for the latest one? I mean, have you tried to specify another restore point from which Exchange server should be booted in the virtual lab? Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

I'd contact support so they could look through the logs. Probably, they'll tell the reason of what is going on in the lab and why the VM keeps rebooting.
jp1
Enthusiast

Post by jp1 »

v.Eremin wrote:Is the behaviour the same for all restore points or just for the latest one? I mean, have you tried to specify another restore point from which Exchange server should be booted in the virtual lab? Thanks.
I think we got it now! Had to select "Last known good" and then it booted. Then, for some reason the IP address defaulted back to DHCP, so I had to reset it back to the correct static IP and now it's fat, dumb, and happy!

On a related note, how exactly would I specify another restore point, if I had to go that route?

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

jp1 wrote:On a related note, how exactly would I specify another restore point, if I had to go that route?
There's a Start To command in the SureBackup job short-cut menu allowing to select the desired date and time to start VMs in the lab to.
jp1
Enthusiast

Post by jp1 »

foggy wrote: There's a Start To command in the SureBackup job short-cut menu allowing to select the desired date and time to start VMs in the lab to.
Well...that was easy. LOL

Thank you very much.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

You're welcome. Should any additional questions arise, feel free to ask.