Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
terrance101
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

snapshots query on repications

Post by terrance101 »

Hey guys,

I just consolidated and removed then removed deleted the snapshots for one of my veeam replicas. Unfortunately after doing this and running the replication again, I got a message "restore point not found, deleting replica xyz" and it deleted the replica meaning the whole replica has to go over again which is taking forever. Was it the consolidation or the deleting of the snapshots that caused this, and why?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: snapshots query on repications

Post by veremin »

So, you initiated snapshots deletion, right? Then, it’s expected that a corresponding replication job failed with the said error, since replication job stored its restore point in VMware native format – vmware snapshots.

In order to avoid full replication run, you might want to re-create a given job and map it to the VM that resides in DR site. In this case, only differences between VMs will be transferred.

Thanks.
terrance101
Enthusiast

Post by terrance101 »

So just an update on this, the only way around is to delete the entire replication and redo it otherwise you just get issues. People who follow this will get an error along the lines of "not able to get access to an object" (sorry can't remember the exact wording), then you'll it's a bug and the recommended fix is to use thin provision disks, which ultimately doesn't work. So my advice, do not upgrade to 7 just yet unless you are ready do full replications of all machines again!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Am I right that you've already contacted support with this? Could you please provide the case ID, so I could look into the case details. Thanks!
terrance101
Enthusiast

Post by terrance101 »

No I did not submit a case with yourselves but I have followed the advice on here and followed forum posts that were experiencing the same issues.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Actually, up to this moment you, practically, the first who has reported about replication functionality not working properly after upgrade.

As mentioned above, it seems that it wasn’t the upgrade process that led to the broken replication jobs, but rather the manual snapshots deletion/consolidation. The previously existing restore point had been deleted/consolidated, and you were notified about it with the “restore point not found” message. The other things were nothing but consequences of the restore point deletion/consolidation.

Anyway, it’s highly-advisable to open a ticket with support team, whenever you face any technical problem, since it’s only support team that can analyse deeply corresponding logs and determine whether you experience a known issue, etc.

Thanks.