Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
rawtaz
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Scheduling questions

Post by rawtaz »

Hi,

Using Veeam B&R 6.5.

1) I want a job to run at 12:00 and 22:00 every day. If I it to run periodically every 1 hours, and in the "Time Periods" dialog restrict the allowed times to just 12:00-13:00 and 22:00-23:00, will this job then risk be terminated when the clock reaches 13:00 or 23:00 (after having been started at 12:00 and 22:00 respectively)?
There's no backup window defined, the "Terminate job if it exceeds allowed backup window" is unchecked, but this seems like a separate thing so I'm not sure about the above.

2) I also want another job to run after the first one is completed at the 22:00 run (but it should not run after completion of the 12:00 run). It seems it's not possible to do this though, since I can't restrict the time periods for this job, when I set it to run after another job. Is there any other way to do it, short of turning the first job into two separate ones (which isn't an option), EDIT: and short of using Windows scheduler and command to trigger jobs "externally"?

The answer to "why don't you just test it?" is that I don't have a lab environment for this currently (and I don't want to test it in production in case the jobs terminate). It'd take me tons of time to test these two simple things, compared to a minute or so for someone who knows to answer the above questions. Sorry about that.

Thank you!
fcambot
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Florian Cambot

Re: Scheduling questions

Post by fcambot »

Hi,

if you shedule job A at 22:00, and job B at 22:05, and you ensure your architecture will only proceed one job ay a time, then B will be processed once A is completed.

As for the 12:00 schedule, i don't fully understand what's the point, your job may last more than 10 hours ??
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Will this job then risk be terminated when the clock reaches 13:00 or 23:00 (after having been started at 12:00 and 22:00 respectively)?
1) Nope, unless you enable “Terminte” option. You have to either use the backup window, which you’ve implemented already (though, the interval can be set even as 12 00 – 23 00 with “running every 10 hours” option) or utilize the PS script in conjunction with Windows Scheduler (scheduled task at 12 and 23 o’clock):

Code: Select all

Get-VBRJob –name “Name of Backup Job” | Start-VBRJob
I also want another job to run after the first one is completed at the 22:00 run
2) If you follow with PS scenario, you can write an “auditorial” part of the script that will check the time a job has been executed and, then, make a decision regarding start of “linking” job. Otherwise, you should limit the number of concurrent task proxy/repository can run and then schedule second to start about 5-10 minutes apart (22:10, for instance).

Thanks.
rawtaz
Expert
Liked: 15 times

Post by rawtaz »

fcambot; Yeah, that second job is a WAN one and it might in some cases take up to that amount of time, so I want to be on the safe side. And since it's just the secondary backup, it's fine if it runs just once a day.

fcambot, v.Eremin; I see. So if I understand you guys right, I can simply set the backup proxy's "Max concurrent tasks" to 1, and then schedule the first job like I described, and the second job I can set to run "Daily at 22:15". Sounds good to me, I don't need them to run concurrently and with this I don't have to involve external scripts.

Thanks again!
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, you’ve got it correctly. Otherwise, the maximum number of concurrent tasks can be set in the settings of repository server, if, of course, both jobs write to the same place. Thanks.