Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dwyer

VBR display speed

Post by mattdwyerva »

Using VBR7 essentials trial on x64 Dell R515 with Win2008R2, 4 gb ram (should I add more?) physical server dedicated to backing up some VMs. Lots of experience with backup s/w, but none with veeam.

Frequently, the interface for the VBR software is a real slug (perhaps 5-10 sec to write the screen), definitely during a backup or tape file copy (ok I'll come back in 5 minutes) and at times when nothing else is going on, such as shortly after reboot (initializations?). Used this box with BE2012 for awhile but don't remember similar behavior there, and all BE2012 services are disabled.

Is this normal, or is this likely me doing something wrong, or ? Backups of VMs seems quick.

Looking in event viewer I see some quota minifilter info messages which seems odd given that quota management is disabled on every drive, but it is perhaps normal to get those event 13s. Not much else looks out of the ordinary.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: VBR display speed

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Matt,

No, it's not normal, however what is your resource utilization in the Task Manager during backup window? What are the processes that consume the most resources on the server?

In order to provision your backup server correctly, please look through the minimum system requirements in the release notes document. If you're using local proxy server to backup your VMs, then it might be worth giving more resources to your server.

BTW, what are the bottleneck stats of your backup jobs?

Thank you!
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

Task manager said CPU (6 core Opteron 2.4) was about 25% at the time. Did not take a snip jpg but it was a veeam process as I recall. Next largest was idle. Guess I will leave resource monitor up so I get more info.

Only iffy requirement is 4gb plus 2gb per concurrent job as a min, so RAM might explain the issue during jobs? Not running anything concurrent (just from years of habit). Only have 4GB at present, but that is cheap to fix.

Source is listed as bottleneck (e.g, 8/26/2013 11:08:15 PM :: Load: Source 98% > Proxy 52% > Network 0% > Target 0%), except on copy to iscsi LTO tape then it says Target . Does VBR "know" if that is disk vs cpu on source?

Low of 27 mb/s and high of 45 mb/s with gig switch and multiple gig adapters.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast

Post by mattdwyerva »

Came in this morning and it was waiting for a tape for daily duplication job. I clicked on VBR to see what was up and it was frozen briefly. Checking performance monitor veam.backup.shell.exe was noted as non-responsive under cpu. After a few seconds it came back. CPU was lightly loaded (sorry, don't recall, 20%??), but ram showed a few spikes over 70%. Ordered a 16gb ram stick to see if that will make it happy.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, it might do the trick.

Generally, it’s recommended to specify 4 GB for a Backup Management server. Taking into account additional proxy resource requirements, it seems that you're close to the limit with existing deployment.

Thanks.