Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ad5
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ad5

v7 - Required Hardware

Post by ad5 »

I am new to Veeam and wish to use v7 for Backup and Replication and also use a tape library. Veeam is to protect 20 vm's running in a 2 host vSphere cluster. Can I get away with a single physical server to do this?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: v7 - Required Hardware

Post by foggy »

Generally, one physical server should be capable to handle such backup load. However, this mostly depends on the required RTO and backup window. Please also refer to the detailed system requirements outlined in the user guide. Thanks.
ad5
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ad5

Post by ad5 »

Understand the backup part but what about replication? If this is to also handle replicas it would obviously have to run ESXi, which is fine, but if it is also running backups and needs to access a tape library then is this possible with ESXi?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yep, you’re right, it’s ESX(i) host that needs to be selected as a target for replication job. So, if you want to use replication jobs, as well, be sure to have additional ESX(i) host at DR location.
but if it is also running backups and needs to access a tape library then is this possible with ESXi?
I don’t think I quite follow you on that. The tape library should be directly attached to VB&R management server, not to an ESX(i) server. As to replication job or the requirement of having additional ESX(i) host, it doesn’t affect a tape functionality in any way. In simple deployment, one VB&R installation can orchestrate all required tasks: backup, replication and tape jobs. Thanks.