Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Dave-Departed
Expert
Liked: 6 times

Offsite backup - My setup

Post by Dave-Departed »

Hi All,

So we've taken advantage of our free upgrade to v7 Enterprise Plus... And I'm still in the midst of testing v7 on a separate server, but I wanted to run my anticipated setup by you all, and see if I can get some advice on whether I intend to do things the right way or not!

Here's the setup that I am proposing.

Main site:

Veeam B&R v7 server (VM)
Veeam WAN accelerator deployed (100GB cache)
vSphere 5.1 Std
HP P4300 SAN (live VMs here)
Drobo B800i (16TB usable - iSCSI connected - local Veeam backup repository)
Restore points for 180 days with synthetic fulls once per week (probably more, if storage space allows)

Satellite site:

Veeam B&R v7 proxy (potentially more than one - VM)
Veeam WAN accelerator deployed (100GB cache)
3.3TB backup repository
Restore points for 60 days

Connectivity:

10mbps VPN between sites.

So what I'm thinking is to just setup backup copy jobs for all of our existing jobs, once we upgrade our existing 6.5 install to v7? And I shouldn't need to do anything else? I know that the first backup copy job for each VM will take a long time (I tried seeding a backup job on a remote repository in my test setup, but unless I was doing something wrong, it didn't really help anything, the first backup copy job still took ages), but apart from that I think everything should work ok?

In our existing 6.5 setup, we are using reverse incrementals, due to the fact that we were doing D2D2T, so I'm guessing to get the best out of the proposed setup above, I should be creating new, incremental jobs, and going forward from there? I can just disable the existing jobs (after setting the deleted VM retention to 180 days to preserve those restore points, I guess?) and just let the new jobs run from that point, then remove the reverse incremental jobs once we have 180 days worth of restore points on the new jobs... Unless there is a way to merge those existing restore points with the new job(s)?

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts!

Thanks

Dave
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Offsite backup - My setup

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

Dave-Departed wrote:So what I'm thinking is to just setup backup copy jobs for all of our existing jobs, once we upgrade our existing 6.5 install to v7? And I shouldn't need to do anything else?
Just do not forget to specify WAN accelerators when creating backup copy jobs.
Dave-Departed wrote:In our existing 6.5 setup, we are using reverse incrementals, due to the fact that we were doing D2D2T, so I'm guessing to get the best out of the proposed setup above, I should be creating new, incremental jobs, and going forward from there?
Actually, you do not need to do anything like that, since backup copy job can work with any backup mode as a source, synthetically building up a new incremental restore point after reading incremental changes from the source repository. I recommend reviewing the corresponding user guide section as the whole process is described there in pretty good detail.
Dave-Departed
Expert

Post by Dave-Departed »

Thanks, Foggy!

So I can just leave the existing jobs as reverse incremental if I wanted to? Is there no detrimental effect of leaving the existing jobs as reverse incrementals?

Thanks

Dave
foggy
Veeam Software

I cannot imagine any.
Dave-Departed
Expert

Post by Dave-Departed »

Ok, thankyou! And I'm sure I read somewhere that I will need to somehow reset the compression level on all of my existing jobs, once upgrade to v7 is complete, is that right?
foggy
Veeam Software

Not really. There's a new default compression level in v7. All of your jobs will use the High compression level after the upgrade and if you want to use the new Optimal level, you need to change it manually (or using this short cmdlet). In order to apply new compression settings, you need to run an active full backup after that.