Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Jamie
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jamie Coutts

Cannot restore files - Just 'Please Wait...

Post by Jamie »

Hi,
Please help if you can.

We have our main 500gb file server backed up by Veeam and these jobs complete successfully.

However when I go to restore any files - I go through the restore dialog boxes screens to the part where there is a 'Please Wait...' screen and the restore jobs hangs there.
Forever, unless I kill the Veeam.backup.Shell process.

On other servers the 'Please Wait...' box is there for only a minute or so and then the explorer-like restore window appears.
Note- I need the windows restore option to work, so I can index the job so I can hand off restore jobs t our help desk via the enterprise console

As backing up this server (for quicker restores) is one of the main reasons we got this product I have tried all I can think of to get this resolved including;

Logged a job; 5161525 [was closed as using the non- windows OS restore option works (intermittently).]
Created a new Veeam server \New Veeam Database
Changed proxy servers
Created new jobs, changing parameters- indexed not indexed, incremental / reverse incremental etc etc
Created new backup file
Applied all lastest patches to Veeam
Updated Vmware tools on the server
Cloned the server to a different LUN on different disk set and backed that server up same error.

At the moment I do not think there is any thing else I can do a part from wait until we upgrade to vSphere 5 (we are using up to date 4.1), or wait until Veeam 7/8 and some random code change makes this work.

Environment Details:
Veeam 6 - latest patches applied
Jobs are direct SAN
SAN is a Clariion cx-320
VMware is 4.1 all patches up to date

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Jamie
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Cannot restore files - Just 'Please Wait...

Post by foggy »

Jamie, could you maybe manually browse the restored volumes (they are mounted under %AppData%\Local\Temp\random.xyz, separate folder for each volume) using some file browser (Windows Exporer, for example)?
Jamie
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jamie Coutts

Post by Jamie »

yay fixed.

I have now upgraded to vSphere 5.1 and Veeam 7, but got the same error (I thought) so I googled this same error and got my own post from last year.

As it turned out while I was googling and trying to browse the mounted VMDKs (to re-start troubleshooting, as foggy recommended last year) the files in the veeam backup browser window were shown after about 12mins.

I just needed to upgrade Vmware to 5.1, upgrade Veeam 7 and replace the SAN. Patience, as it turns out is a virtue.
kte
Expert
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Koen Teugels

Post by kte »

whatvis the target of youre backups, because that could bet the problem, I can open a flr of a 12 tb fileserver in less then 1 minute

k