Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
sepj12927
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Per J

ESX server properties

Post by sepj12927 »

Hi,

In nWorks the properties of a vSphere host contained an IP address, in the new MP this is not the case, how come?

In nWorks I use the IP to be able to group my VMWare resources by region and using the IP is an excellent way to achieve this.

Any one any ideas on how to do that in the new MP?

/Per
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: ESX server properties

Post by sergey.g »

Hello,

I really appreciate your patience.

You are right, we've removed IP address property from the vSphere host. In v6 this property can be seen for the network card object.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. But I'm afraid we had to do this because previously this property was not very reliable it could contain IP addresses which never have been configured on the server itself. In V6 we are taking IP addresses configured for the physical network adapters and we are collecting them for the corresponding network cards. This way we can be sure we can catch all IP addresses configured for the host even if adapters are in different VLANs or subnets.

You can still use IP address as a filtering parameter for different regions. But I'm afraid you have to use more complicated approach than in 5.7. You can create a group with "contains" relationships in the group membership rule.

We've created a template MP for you as an example. You can download it using the link below:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BxwETGw ... sp=sharing

This MP has the following membership formula

Code: Select all

<MembershipRule>
              <MonitoringClass>$MPElement[Name="VeeamVirtExtensionsVMwareLibrary6001421!Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMHOST"]$</MonitoringClass>
              <RelationshipClass>$MPElement[Name="MicrosoftSystemCenterInstanceGroupLibrary7585010!Microsoft.SystemCenter.InstanceGroupContainsEntities"]$</RelationshipClass>
              <Expression>
                <Contains maxDepth="3">
                  <MonitoringClass>$MPElement[Name="VeeamVirtExtensionsVMwareLibrary6001421!Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMHOSTNET"]$</MonitoringClass>
                     <Expression>
                <RegExExpression>
                  <ValueExpression>
                    <Property>$MPElement[Name="VeeamVirtExtensionsVMwareLibrary6001421!Veeam.Virt.Extensions.VMware.VMHOSTNET"]/ipAddress$</Property>
                  </ValueExpression>
                  <Operator>ContainsSubstring</Operator>
                  <Pattern>172.16.4.</Pattern>
                </RegExExpression>
                  </Expression>
                </Contains>
              </Expression>
            </MembershipRule>
"172.16.4." is a placeholder for the IP address or a subnet
Such an approach actually more reliable than the one we had in 5.7, because there could be an IP address registered in DNS on one NIC and another DNS name registered for another IP address on some other NIC - in this case 5.7 will catch only one address, while in v6 there will be two separate network cards with different IP addresses assigned on them.

Let me know if you have any questions regarding the provided example MP.

Thanks.