Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Dave-Departed
Expert
Liked: 6 times

Instant Restoring a VM from Backup Copy job to alt location

Post by Dave-Departed »

Hi All,

Still doing some testing with v7, and I have a question about Instant VM Restore when done from a Backup Copy Job, to an alternate location (in this case, the DR site where my BCJ's are pointing to, where we have an ESXi host running, with a proxy and WAN accelerator setup there too).

When I try and do an Instant VM Restore from a restore point in the BCJ, and point it to the DR ESXi host, the job goes off and starts, and after 30 mins of sitting on the 'Publishing VM' step, it then fails and spends another 30 mins on 'Canceling backup file lock Error: A connection attempt failed because the connected party did not respond properly after a period of time, or established connection failed because the connected host has failed to respond'.

The job then fails completely.

I'm wondering if I've configured something wrong? Otherwise, how am I meant to restore from BCJ's to DR site in the event of our main site being wiped out?

Thanks in advance.

Dave
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Instant Restoring a VM from Backup Copy job to alt locat

Post by foggy »

Dave, is vPowerNFS service enabled on the repository where the said backup file is stored? If it is enabled, everything should work fine, there's no difference in backups produced by ordinary backup jobs and backup copy jobs, IR works with both of them. Is there a chance of some issue with the host itself (e.g. it is unreachable)? It is worth contacting support so that they could verify the reason of the failure via logs review. Thanks.
Dave-Departed
Expert

Post by Dave-Departed »

Hi Foggy,

The DR repository is a CIFS share (only while we are testing, I'm using a spare bit of kit, configured as a NAS4FREE device). Once we get the full plan in place, it would be a Windows share attached to a Veeam B&R server/proxy at the DR site. Is this because vPowerNFS doesn't work with CIFS shares?

There is no problem with the host, it is contactable, as I am connected to it via vSphere client, and I am working on VMs hosted on it most of the time.

Thanks

Dave
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Dave-Departed wrote:Is this because vPowerNFS doesn't work with CIFS shares?
Yes, most likely you have vPrower NFS service installed on some other Windows server (Veeam B&R server probably) that is located in another site.
Dave-Departed
Expert

Post by Dave-Departed »

So if I installed vPowerNFS on the remote proxy in the DR site too, could that work?

**Edited to add - I mean configure a repository on the remote proxy in the DR site, with vPowerNFS enabled!
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Yes, this is a recommended approach.