Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dwyer

Restore UI - Suggestions

Post by mattdwyerva »

Testing VBR 7. Restoring a guest file (Win2008R2), I learned that VBR "RESTORE" overwrites newer files without any confirmation dialog. YIKES. We now call that option "OBLITERATE" instead.

It would be nice for the less confident to have the option for confirmation by dialog box. I realize I can use Copy File at the end instead of Restore to avoid the overwrite problem, so I haven't been burned yet, but looks inevitable. I wish I could set COPY TO as the normal restore. Entire VM is the default (really?? bombs away) which is puzzling. Maybe match prior choice?

On a restore, when you select restore guest files as the task, dialog box says "Completing the Restore Wizard" before picking any files (more like HIT OK to CONTINUE). First time this happened, I avoided fainting, sure the job would now overwrite ALL current files. I expect that 99% of the time I will be restoring a single file or two from a guest. It would be GREAT if that was a submenu choice up on the main menu under VMWARE or TAPE, like: Restore / VMWARE / Guest OS Windows / Copy Files To. Not sure how hard it is to do submenus (unless we are discussing Autocad LT), but you have one for TAPE.

We normally put restored files into a single RESTORE directory tree on our main server whenever someone lost/ruined a file and requests a backup copy. This is not a full replica, it only contains a file that someone requested. Then they can load from that location and decide to use the restored version or not, without me copying on top of current work. A defined Restore Location would be a nice default.

For your consideration.
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Re: Restore UI - Suggestions

Post by tsightler » 2 people like this post

I don't think it's fair to call it "OBLITERATE" as, if the file/folder already exist, the original is simply renamed with the prefix "ORIGINAL-" so you can always recover from an accidental restore operation that overwrites an existing file.

Regarding the submenu for restores, I think functionality very similar to this request already exist, just perhaps not in that spot in the GUI. You can either browse the backups under the Disk or Tape categories and find the VM then right click on it, or you can use the search bar to find the VM, right click on the VM to bring up a context menu that provides you the restore options, and pick what you want from the list. Also, you can always implement and use enterprise manager for restores, which has a specific files tab for searching and restoring files.

Not saying this addresses your issues/requests 100%, just pointing out a few things that might help.
mattdwyerva
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Matt Dwyer

Re: Restore UI - Suggestions

Post by mattdwyerva » 1 person likes this post

Excellent suggestions. I completely missed that VBR renamed the original with the ORIGINIAL prefix. That is MUCH better, and as you say, I was being unfair there. RTFM. Thanks.

I have not messed with the Enterprise Manager at all, so I will try that. Still wish the ui was different there, but having used BackupExec, EMC/Dantz Retrospect and Acronis, I have been very pleasantly surprised at ease of use for VBR.