Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
widibaer
Novice
Liked: never

Active Full Backup

Post by widibaer »

Hello,

I have 1.5TB to backup and a NAS with 2TB free space.
I start an Active Full Backup on sunday with Reversed Incremental Backups on weekdays.
So far so good.
What happens if I want to have regular Active Full Backups each sunday?
Is there an option, that the scheduled task on sunday deletes everything on the NAS before it starts the Active Full Backup?
Otherwise there wouldn't be enough space left for an Active Full Backup...

Thanks for your help,
WidiBaer
Time is what prevents everything from happening at once.
John Archibald Wheeler
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Active Full Backup

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello John,

There is no such option to erase everything prior writing another backup file. If you schedule active full once a month, it will be written next to existing files. You can use a PowerShell script that would erase everything before running active full backup, but I wouldn't recommend doing that, as you wouldn't have any restore points until this backup is complete.

You say you have a 2 TB NAS box with 1.5 TB of backup data...what is your retention policy? Will this box have enough free space for your increments?

Thank you!
widibaer
Novice
Liked: never

Post by widibaer »

Hello Vitaly,

as there is only an amount of 1 - 2 GB of changed data a day there would be enough space for the Reversed Incrementals for our planed 7 Restore Points with 7 days Retention Policy.
Q1:
About the PowerShell Script you mentioned...
Is this impelmented in Veeam Backup & Replication?

Q2:
If I don't use such a script, would the only option be to get another NAS box with more space? Or are there other options left?

Thanks for youe help,
WidiBaer
Time is what prevents everything from happening at once.
John Archibald Wheeler
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

1. You can ask for help on the PowerShell sub-forum, but again make sure you really want this option, as it will leave you without backups at all unless you're using some archival procedures.
2. Yes, you need to have a backup storage that will meet the configured retention and backup policy.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Assuming that it’s physical instance of VB&R that is being used, you might want to add additional hard drives to it, and use NAS device as a secondary place to which the backup files will be copied. Not only will this scenario be better in terms of backup data redundancy, but also, in this case, you will be able to use “cleaning” script without any issues and not worry about consequences, since you will have at least one copy of backups.

Anyway, if you’re still willing to stick with your own scenario, you should use a common PS cmdlets responsible for cleaning a given folder. Also, be sure to specify corresponding regkey.

Thanks.