Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
DavidGulli
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Gulli

Question regarding additional Proxy servers?

Post by DavidGulli » 1 person likes this post

Hi All,

Love the product, and gostev rocks :)

anyway - i had an idea the other day that i wanted to fly regarding proxy servers. from what i understand, they handle additional jobs through more CPU/RAM being available. One customer i would like to see this tried on has Veeam 6.5 with local storage for their backup, using a single proxy server.

my question is, can i install an additional proxy server within their VMware environment to capitalize on unused resources in the night during backups? and does this additional backup server need access to the backup storage.

If it does need access to the backup storage, how will i go about this considering that Veeam and its backup jobs are directed to save to the local storage of the primary proxy server? or is this impossible because of the way the storage isnt shared?
jeremyh8
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jeremy Harrison

Re: Question regarding additional Proxy servers?

Post by jeremyh8 » 1 person likes this post

add the proxy and it will be used if it is setup to be used in the job. by default i think it uses all available proxies. you dont have to have this proxy seeing the same storage since you added your backup location to your backup server. the proxy just processes the data and the changes will be sent to the backup repository specified in the job. this is my understanding.
DavidGulli
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Gulli

Post by DavidGulli »

Ok great, thank you - so in other words it just does the processing, then throws it back to the main veeam server to store somewhere?

All the jobs that are configured are aimed for automatic proxy selection, so this shouldnt be an issue.
jeremyh8
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jeremy Harrison

Post by jeremyh8 » 1 person likes this post

yeah just add the proxy and let it go and you should be fine.
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

If all jobs are set for automatic selection, each new proxy will be used. The one that is also a repository (probably the veeam server itself) is going to save backups directly into its own storage or the one that is connected to, the additional proxies will sent backup data to the repository via lan.

Only check before the repository itself is not configured to have a limit on the maximum cuncurrent jobs it can accept, but usually this parameter is blank by default.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then throws it back to the main veeam server to store somewhere
It will be true if backup management server is also being used as backup repository. Otherwise, the data will be sent by proxy server directly to backup repository, bypassing management server. Thanks.
fcambot
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Florian Cambot

Post by fcambot »

Proxies are really awesome.
I have 5 proxies, which are virtual machines, W2K8R2 x64 with nothing but the veeam component remotely added by veeam server.
I am over-committing vCpus becauser of them, but at the time they work, every other VM are quite asleep :). If your host are close to idle, you could add as many proxies as you need, up to the number of jobs your repository(ies) can handle.

I added a proxy for each physical host, so veeam can use hotadd on each proxy. I dedicated a network group to proxies on each server (for vmotion sake), and i grouped proxies, physical hosts and veeam physical servers on a separate switch.
And now i enjoy having network as main bottleneck :), meaning everything run at full throttle.
Just be cautious with repository, don't run too many job, just try something average and look at bottlenecks.