Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
terrance101
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

quiescing question

Post by terrance101 »

Hey guys,

it looks like we are getting a bigger line to accomodate these replications, and it looks like, due to our software we use, we have to run 3 sql server replications in parallel. This is because the times on the server replications cannot be too far out of sync otherwise we face all sorts of problems. My understanding might be slightly off so can you tell me if I'm wrong here: when you are using quiescing a temporary file is created and all CBT changes are then commited temporarily to this file while the original is backed up, then after it's done the temporary changes are applied to the original image and the temp is deleted. Is this correct? And if this is so, say the 3 replications kick off and take an hour to complete all 3, will I get the exact data at the time they kick off?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: quiescing question

Post by foggy »

Yes, basically, at the moment when backup starts, VM snapshot is created and VM data is retrieved from this snapshot. After the backup snapshot is committed to the parent virtual disk. However, since each VM requires different time for guest to freeze and, hence, for the snapshot to be created, there will be some discrepancy in times of the VMs quiescence, probably not critical in your case.