Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
staylor1972
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Steve taylor

V7 & Dynamic Disks

Post by staylor1972 »

Hi Guys

Upgraded to version 7 from 6.5 and am having a problem backing up a Vm that has a dynamic disk. In 6.5 it let me exclude this disk and the rest of the VM backed up without any issue.

Spoke to Support (ref:_00D30RWR._50060SbL2m:ref)and its either roll back to 6.5 or add another disk and copy the data across. Anyone have any other ideas?? The data on the disk will be excluded even if we convert it to a basic disk
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: V7 & Dynamic Disks

Post by foggy »

Steve, what was the reason of excluding this disk previously? Was it because of a requirement to back this VM up using application-aware processing? The fact is that in v6.5 VMs with dynamic disks were always backed up in crash-consistent mode, regardless of the AAIP settings and exclusions (as if the VM guest OS has dynamic disks, the VM can be backed up using saved state only).

In v7 the logic has changed slightly, the job will fail in case of inability to quiesce it using VSS unless 'Ignore application processing failures' option is selected in Advanced options for Guest processing settings. Probably that is what you're observing.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

I'd like to check on that, but what is the actual support case ID?
The above is not a case ID, just some automated gibberish.
staylor1972
Novice

Post by staylor1972 »

Hi Foggy

Thanks for the info. i'll try the setting as suggested and let you know how i get on. The reason why were excluding the disk is because its for a cctv system that gets the data written elsewhere every 4 hours or so.

Gostoev sorry thats what was on my email from support!!! just checked in the support portal heres the propper one! 00442731
staylor1972
Novice

Post by staylor1972 »

Hi Foggy

Just ran the backup and it ran but gave a warning error Guest processing skipped (check guest OS VSS state and integration components version)

i've done a test restore and everything appears to be working.

Thanks again

regards

Steve
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Well, initially I thought that your job started to fail after the upgrade (as it should with the default "Require successful application processing" option selected). However after looking into your case I see that you just started to get this same warning, so it looks like you already had this option set initially in v6.5. With "Ignore application processing failures" option, the v7 job should produce this warning, this is expected. While it should finish without any warnings with "Disable application processing" option selected.