Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
pcrebe
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

separate backup network/traffic

Post by pcrebe »

Hi,
i'd like to separate the backup traffic.
My VeeamVM is connected with Nic1 to the production lan, now if i install a Nic2 on a separate subnet where i've put the iSCSI backup target all the traffic should have this route, leaving the production lan free from veeam backup activity?

SAN --> VeeamVM [hot had] --> iSCSI Nic2 --> Backup iSCSI storage ?

The host need 4 nics minimum?
1 for MNGT 192.168.01.xx
1 for Production 192.168.01.yy
1 for iSCSI SAN 192.168.02.xx
1 for iSCSI Backup 192.168.03.xx

Is it right?

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: separate backup network/traffic

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Carlo,

Almost, there is no need to have a separate NIC connected to the SAN device in order to use hotadd backup mode, as hotadd mode works through ESXi I/O stack directly.

BTW, what is the difference between MNGT and Production traffic? If there is none, then I would say you need only two NICs - one for managing this VM (pointed to production network) and the second one for the backup repository iSCSI traffic.

Thank you!
pcrebe
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: CARLO

Post by pcrebe »

Hello Vitaliy
Vitaliy S. wrote:
Almost, there is no need to have a separate NIC connected to the SAN device in order to use hotadd backup mode, as hotadd mode works through ESXi I/O stack directly.
I've a dedicated NIC for iSCSI traffic on 2 separated switches, so using hotadd backup mode. The VeeamVM attach the VMs disks and push the block to a iSCSI NAS that is on the production switch throught the only VM NIC.
Now developing a new scenario i'd like push the block to a new iSCSI SAN (the old MD3000i) throught a second NIC on the VeeamVM and connect that NIC to the iSCSI switches.

Is it bad idea?

Vitaliy S. wrote:
BTW, what is the difference between MNGT and Production traffic? If there is none, then I would say you need only two NICs - one for managing this VM (pointed to production network) and the second one for the backup repository iSCSI traffic.
None only for design :-)

Thanks!
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Carlo,

1. During HotAdd backup mode nothing goes through the network cards of your backup proxy servers, except for some management tasks traffic of the backup job. This traffic is really small, so using the network card pointed to the production network should be ok here. As to having a dedicated NIC to push VM backups to the iSCSI SAN directly from the proxy server, then this is really a good design.
2. Got it! Then I would suggest using just a single NIC for all management and production traffic.

Thank you!