Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
honestabe00
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Knapp

Active Fulls Running long after upgrading from 6.1 to 6.5 SP

Post by honestabe00 »

All,

I have upgraded from 6.1 to 6.5 and not it seems that all my active fulls run long. Did something change or do I need to change anything with these jobs? Anyone else have this issue? Thank for your help.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Active Fulls Running long after upgrading from 6.1 to 6.

Post by foggy »

Matthew, could you please provide the bottleneck statistics for the job runs prior and after the upgrade and check whether the transport mode used to retrieve source VM data from the storage has changed after the upgrade? What other changes were probably introduced to the environment recently?
honestabe00
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Matthew Knapp

Post by honestabe00 »

It varies even before teh upgrade from source, target, and network. It still uses SAN for the transport mode. Nothing else has changed.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Did you notice any significant drop in backup performance speed? It may be also worth comparing previous and nowadays job statistics and seeing what particular step takes longer than it used to. Thanks.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Nothing changed in the backup engine code between 6.1 and 6.5, and this was never reported before. But 6.5 has been around for a long while - so it is safe to assume the issue is not with the product.

I would look up the real time stats when the job is copying data (hover over the bottleneck stat in real-time statistics window), this should be more helpful than summary stats.
honestabe00 wrote:Nothing else has changed.
Believe or not, but literally every support case on performance issues after upgrade ends with these words. And in the end, every single case so far came down to some change in the environment along, before or after upgrade. In the past 6 years, I literally don't remember us having a single backup engine bug that caused processing performance to drop after upgrade.

I agree that for a start, it would be best to compare active full performance between 6.1 and 6.5 using the debug logs (until 6.1 logs go away by retention).