Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
sanjeev.narula
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Sanjeev Narula

Is Veeam Local backup Repository Recommended

Post by sanjeev.narula »

Hi All,

I am thinking of getting Veeam Backup & Replication to backup two Vmware hosts. I have been reading about what people are using as their backup repository. I have found that most of the people are using a SAN or NAS to store their backups. I was wondering if it is recommended to use the local disk storage on the veeam backup server to store the backups, if yes why no one does it. Is it mainly because of scalability reasons or are there any reasons as well.

Thanks in advance
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Is Veeam Local backup Repository Recommended

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

Hi Sanjeev, I can tell you this is an extremely popular backup target among our users. Why? Mainly because it is the cheapest and easiest way to go. Plus, you will get better performance and reliability than backing up to a NAS share. So, answering your question I can definitely recommend such a backup target. Hope this helps!
sanjeev.narula
Novice

Post by sanjeev.narula »

Thanks for the quick reply Gostev.
Would you also be able to help me size our Veeam Server as I could not find any information in FAQs except minimum requirements.
I would like to know the minimum hardware requirements for Veeam Server which will be backing up two Vmware host with 20-25 VMs. The total amount of data will be at least 3TB. I would like to do weekly full backups and hourly/daily reverse incremental backup. Please let me know if you need any other information.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

20-25 VMs and 3TB is a very small deployment for Veeam (just one job really), so there are no special considerations... just make sure you meet those minimum System Requirements, and you will be fine.
sanjeev.narula
Novice

Post by sanjeev.narula »

Thanks heaps Gostev.
arthurb
Lurker
Full Name: Arthur Byrnes

Post by arthurb »

We have 4 nodes in our vm cluster.

Do you have a solution that allows the local storage from each node to be used by the Veeam backup host?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Arthur, ESXi cannot be used directly as a backup repository, however, you can create a VM on a local datastore and store backups there (although this is not among best practices).