Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
davidb1234
Expert
Liked: 15 times
Full Name: David Borden

Can Symantec BackupExec remain on the B&R Server after v7?

Post by davidb1234 »

We need to keep Backup Exec installed on our B&R server so that we can access older tape backups once we move to Veeam tape in v7. Will we be able to leave Backup Exec installed on the Veeam B&R server as long as we don't have any backup jobs running in backup exec?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Can Symantec BackupExec remain on the B&R Server after v

Post by veremin »

Users have already reported several issues caused by the running Symantec services, usage of Symantec specific drivers, instead of default Windows ones, etc. Assuming that said services are stopped, the drivers are uninstalled and no Symantec jobs are executed, this scenario may work; though, it still needs to be verified further.

Thanks.
tfloor
Veteran
Full Name: Tristan Floor

Post by tfloor »

Symantec backup exec wants exclusive lock on the tape drive.

For the best result be sure to:
Stop/disable all symantec services
Check tape drive/library drivers in device manager and be sure this are not symantec drivers but from HP or windows
BriFar
Veeam ProPartner
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Brian Farrugia

Post by BriFar »

Hi,
I did the same as tfloor suggested above. Veeam backup has been working for almost a week without issues. The way Veeam B&R is performing, Bexec will be un-installed once we have a go ahead from the customer.
Just remember to start the services and install the Symantec drivers when performing a restore from the old tapes.

I think in your case I would try and set the services and Manual not disabled. Jus to be able to start/stop from the backup exec console instead of starting each service manually through the services mmc.
doggatas
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David O

[MERGED] Veeam B&R 7 upgrade - Tape Library

Post by doggatas »

Hi

I have been reluctant to upgrade to v7 because we have only just gone full production (2 months) with Veeam 6.5 and it is running perfectly, unlike my troubles with a particular backup product which I will not mention names. But I still have to use it to get my lovely VBK, VBR, VIB and VBM files to tape. Enter Veeam B&R 7.

I have monitored the forums and there doesn't appear to be too many issues(if any) during the upgrade and post upgrade (running of jobs/restoring).

I have a question in regards to our TS3200 tape library which is currently used by Backup Exec 2010 R3 (oops i mentioned it). Our Veeam 6.5 is installed on the same physical server as this server has a FC HBA in it and allows us to utilise SAN mode.

Anyway my question is will Veeam 7 and BE happily share the tape library? By that I mean will both applications see the tape library or will one take ownership and not share?

I don't mind if they can't use it simultaneously even though there are two LTO 4 drives in the library. I plan to cease using BE altogether but there will inevitably be a small cross over period will I will still need to use BE.

Cheers
David
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Re: Veeam B&R 7 upgrade - Tape Library

Post by Gostev »

Hi David,

To be completely fair, we are working on patch 1 that will include about 60 bug fixes and enhancements, nevertheless none of those are major and all have workarounds or hot fixes, so the patch is primarily to reduce the load on support.

As to your main question, unfortunately sharing a tape library is impossible, as documented in the release notes. With some searching, you can find a few topics in this forum where people hit the wall with this after upgrading.

Hope this helps.
doggatas
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: David O

Re: Veeam B&R 7 upgrade - Tape Library

Post by doggatas »

Thank you, I will wait for patch 1 before upgrading

P.S. sorry for not using the search function.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Basically, if you’re going to use v7 to offload backups to tape, you will have to uninstall Symantec drivers, remove BE (or at least stop all the services), and install common Windows drivers for your library.
scott.anderson
Service Provider
Full Name: Scott Anderson

Post by scott.anderson »

It is possible to use v7 and BUE on the same server using the same tape IF you switch the tape drivers to the native windows drivers from the tape manufacturer (will require a restart of the server). In the case of IBM LTO tape drives and Libraries you actually get two option for the driver install. If you run the exclusive.exe then only ONE app can manage the tape driver subsystem, BUT if you use the non-exclusive.exe then the tape subsystem CAN be managed by both Veeam and BackExec (you just need to ensure/schedule that the tape isn't being used at the same time!)
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6700 times

Post by Gostev »

This is interesting information for IBM LTO owners, but I would not assume that all other tape device models also provide non-exclusive driver install option...
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

There might also be some significant issues with media management so you would need to make sure you manually manage media pools so that each solution does not attempt to use media already used by the other.