Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jvinos
Novice
Liked: never

WAN acceleration set up guide

Post by jvinos »

Hi All,

I am new here :mrgreen:

Have been battling all weekend trying to figure this out. Does VEEAM have a guide from start to finish on how to set up this WAN acceleration feature.

I have opened up only the following ports:
6165, 6164, 6162, 6160, 2500, 2501, 2502, 2503.

I only want to open up the minimum required.
I started with the default 6165. This port alone is not enough.

I then read on this forum link a few more needed to be open.
http://forums.veeam.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17770

Does WAN acceleration need a VPN, or ISP grade private network?

I am new to this product and I primarily want it due to WAN acceleration. I have a ProPartner login. I either do not know where to look or VEEAM don't document well or just assume we know all the steps (I apologise for my tone here, just been a frustrating weekend, trying to research it myself).

So far I have done:
1. The ports as mentioned.
2. Backup Job1 to local c:\backup
3. Offsite Backup Copy Job - which copies the c:\backup\ data to remote repository.
4. Before doing 2 and 3, I created two WAN accelerator (local backup server), and the other on the remote backup server. These setup went okay with no errors.

When I run the Backup Job1 it succeeds.

When I run Backup Copy Job1 it fails with the following message.

I have replaced the WAN IP below with the word "REPLACEDREMOTEIPNUMBER"

16/09/2013 12:04:25 AM :: Processing 'win2012R2' Error: Unable to initialize remote target session connection: all aliases have failed.
--tr:Failed to open WAN synchronization target.
--tr:Failed to create target task, taskId: '507df8e5-d369-4af3-aab2-86cf025efc0c', xmlDiskSpec: '<targetDiskSpec><agentConnSpec crcEnable="False"><name>REPLACEDREMOTEIPNUMBER</name><addrs><addr>REPLACEDREMOTEIPNUMBER</addr><addr>REPLACEDREMOTEIPNUMBER</addr></addrs><port>2500</port><login>a8bbe6d6-2a98-4d72-a8cd-fe02092a4dce</login><password>cae499d2-7452-4928-b7d1-696a6b5dbc05<
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: WAN acceleration set up guide

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hi John,
jvinos wrote:Does VEEAM have a guide from start to finish on how to set up this WAN acceleration feature.
Actually, there is no much to do if you want to setup WAN accelerators. These components are installed in the same way you install proxy, repository servers.
jvinos wrote:I only want to open up the minimum required.
You can find information about all ports required in our User Guide (page 134) > http://www.veeam.com/veeam_backup_7_use ... are_pg.pdf
jvinos wrote:Does WAN acceleration need a VPN, or ISP grade private network?
Yes, as your backup proxies and WAN accelerators should be reachable via network connection from both sites.
jvinos wrote:So far I have done:
1. The ports as mentioned.
2. Backup Job1 to local c:\backup
3. Offsite Backup Copy Job - which copies the c:\backup\ data to remote repository.
4. Before doing 2 and 3, I created two WAN accelerator (local backup server), and the other on the remote backup server. These setup went okay with no errors.

When I run Backup Copy Job1 it fails with the following message.
16/09/2013 12:04:25 AM :: Processing 'win2012R2' Error: Unable to initialize remote target session connection: all aliases have failed.
Can you ping your target WAN accelerator from the main site via its hostname or FQDN?

Thanks!
jvinos
Novice

Post by jvinos »

To your last question. Yes, and it was all target repository was visible from source VEEAM PC.

To resolve my issues above I set up a temporary VPN just to test. This is to be a proof of concept.

I think my company will be selling this with a private network to eliminate most issues.

As I am still learning VEEAM and what I can do with it, I find it strange I got a warning with this offsite backup "Job finished with warning....." Where can I find more information as this doesn't tell me much.

If my temporary VPN had disconnect and then automatically connected shouldn't my Offsite Backup Copy job also auto resume? I was at a VEEAM event in Melbourne Australia a few weeks ago and they said it can resume, not sure if I need to start manually everytime.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2720 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

John,

1. You can find all details in the backup copy job log. If you need an assistance with reading through the log, please open a support case.
2. Yes, it can resume. Here you go an existing thread about resume functionality > Best way for offsite backup with internet drop every 24h

Thanks!
jvinos
Novice

Post by jvinos »

Thanks.