Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Starman
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Todd Leavitt

Best backup config for "backup copy"

Post by Starman »

I'm trying to wrap my head around this and could use some advice.

I'm using the backup proxy at a remote site to back up the virtual machines to local storage on that side. I am then using backup copy to copy them back to my Veeam server in my datacenter.

I'm wondering what would be the best backup method on those servers to minimize the backup copy size.

I usually use reverse incremental on my jobs but it seems to me that the ones using backup copy may need to go to a full incremental but Im not sure if I should enable full synthetics and transform previous full backups.

The actual backups at the remote site do not really matter how they are set up however I don't want a lot of data moved and stored with the backup copy jobs (maybe 1 full with 5ish incremental behind it).

Thank you.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Best backup config for "backup copy"

Post by veremin »

Hi, Todd. Actually, Veeam Backup Copy Job doesn’t copy backup files as the whole, instead, it uses its special logic to synthetically create required restore points in remote location. And it doesn’t matter what backup mode is being used. Moreover, after initial synchronization, the backup copy job is always incremental.

So, in order to achieve your goal you should use “simple retention policy” and set “6” as a number of restore points you’re going to keep.

Thanks.
Starman
Enthusiast
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Todd Leavitt

Post by Starman »

That makes sense (based on what the files were looking like). thank you! I'll click back to my usual "reverse incremental".
sdelacruz
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Sam De La Cruz

[MERGED] Recomended Backup Method to do Job Copies offsite

Post by sdelacruz »

So this is my question.

I have about 20 backup jobs all of them using the reverse incremental option. I like this options because it allows me to keep more backup restore points in less hard drive space and I know that my last backup is always a full backup. I am keeping 14 restores points on most of my critical servers. 7 on non critical.

Now I am trying to use the new feature to move these backups to an offsite location using the backup copy job. My question is the following.

Since I am using the reverse incremental and the new backup vbk file will always be the new one, does that mean that the file will be copied every day to the offsite?
Would you recommend me to reconfigure these backup jobs and do a traditional forward incremental, do full backups on Saturdays and copies on Sunday?

The amount of backup files is close to 5 TB. I have a 20 MB connection

Any help is greatly appreciated.

SAM
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Sam, backup copy job utilizes its own logic (described above) that has nothing to do with the method used by source backup job. Thanks.