Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
jp1
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Jonathan Palsi

Backing up SQL server

Post by jp1 » 1 person likes this post

We have a VM that runs MS SQL server that is used 24/7. Currently, when I run my daily Veeam Backup users will be disconnected from the database only briefly, but must exit out of their application and go back in again to reconnect. Is this normal? It seems to occur when the snapshot is removed. I would just normally schedule this for "off hours", but in this case there are no off hours. Also, I do have VSS processing enabled.

Do we need to think of a different backup strategy for our SQL server?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backing up SQL server

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Jonathan,

There is an existing discussion with similar snapshot commit symptoms. Please check it out for possible solutions to your problem > Snapshot removal issues of a large VM.

On top of that, can you please tell me what Veeam B&R version are you at right now?

Thank you!
jp1
Enthusiast

Post by jp1 »

We are using version 7 of Veeam. Hosts are HP Proliants running ESXi 5.1 connected to an HP iSCSI SAN on their own dedicated network.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2717 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Do you use parallel disk processing feature? Was it an upgrade or clean install of Veeam B&R v7?
jp1
Enthusiast

Post by jp1 »

Yes, it was an upgrade from 6.5 to 7, but I do have Parallel Disk Processing enabled.

Could the client software being disconnected from the DB just be a case of what happens when VMware removes a snapshot?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Short period of inactivity due to the required stun to commit snapshot data is fully expected during snapshot creation and removal. Possible ways to eliminate the issue are described in the topic referred to above. Thanks.