Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
garethhwilson
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Gareth Wilson

Creating snapshot Failed to perform Veeam VSS freeze

Post by garethhwilson »

We are trialing Veeam BR v4 with the possibility of moving to it from vizioncore for backuping up our vsphere clusters, most of my vm's are backing up fine but on 1 windows 7 box and 1 ubuntu box i am getting the following error messages (latest version of vmware tools installed):

Windows 7 gives the error

Creating snapshot Failed to perform Veeam VSS freeze: guest OS "windows7Guest" is not supported CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-7810", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "True" Cannot create a quiesced snapshot because the create snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine.

Ubuntu box gives the error:

Creating snapshot Failed to perform Veeam VSS freeze: VM guest OS state is"NotRunning" (when it clearly is running)

and it also gives the error

Creating snapshot Failed to perform Veeam VSS freeze: guest OS "ubuntuGuest" is not supported CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-3733", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "True" Operation timed out.

anyone got any ideas why these 2 are failing ?

Cheers in advance
Image I love snapshotting :)
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Creating snapshot Failed to perform Veeam VSS freeze

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Gareth,

Thank you for trialing us and welcome to Veeam community :)

As for the erros you see, please do the following to resolve your issues:
First of all, for your Windows 7 VM, please disable VMware Quiescence option and use Veeam VSS integration module, which can be checked at advanced job settings. We do strongly recommend to use Veeam VSS rather than VMware Quiescence for all Windows machines, please have a look at the corresponding thread discussing all the benefits of using VSS and Quiescence: Transactionally Consistent Backups

Regarding your Linux VM issue, I do believe you that it might be running, however, the way we recieve the information about the VM state is done via MOB (Managed Object Browser), so if you see the Guest Os state as "not running" in the VM summary information using MOB as well, I believe that you should open a support ticket with WMware.
If you need instructions how to see summary information about any spicified VM using MOB, please contact our support team (support@veeam.com), that will gladly provide you with the instructions and guide you through them if needed.

Thank you
garethhwilson
Novice

Post by garethhwilson »

ok i have uninstall the VSS stuff on vmware tools on this server but when the backups run i still get

Creating snapshot Failed to perform Veeam VSS freeze: guest OS "windows7Guest" is not supported CreateSnapshot failed, vmRef "vm-7810", timeout "1800000", snName "VEEAM BACKUP TEMPORARY SNAPSHOT", snDescription "Please do not delete this snapshot. It is being used by Veeam Backup.", memory "False", quiesce "True" Cannot create a quiesced snapshot because the create snapshot operation exceeded the time limit for holding off I/O in the frozen virtual machine.

but i can shotshot it manually ok in VC

any ideas ?

Cheers in advance
tsightler
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2843 times
Full Name: Tom Sightler

Post by tsightler »

I'm not sure you fully understood Anton's instructions. He wanted you to remove disable the "VMware Tools Quiesce" feature within the Veeam backup job. If you edit the properties of the Veeam backup job, on the "Backup Destination" page click the "Advanced" button. On the "General" tab the second option should be labels "Backup Options" and should be called "Enable VMware tools quiescence". Uncheck the box to disable this option, click OK, click Next, and on the "Backup Consistency" page enter the credentials to enable Veeam VSS integration.

That's a little difficult to read, but actually simple to do, so hopefully I was clear enough with those instructions.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

Hey, it was not Anton's intructions above ;) my instructions are always easy to read, you know! :mrgreen:

Gareth, VIC snapshot does not leverage quiescence, so ability to snapshot in VIC does not mean anything yet concerning this issue... I will try to find out from devs on what could be causing this error and post here. I will not be surprised if I hear the most usual "give us all logs first, and then we will tell you" :D
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Gareth, what Windows 7 build/version/edition is that, could you please check? Could this be pre-RTM or something?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Gareth, nevermind, looks like our bug with supported OS filtering around Windows 7... we will provide you a hotfix for this, please open support case for tracking purposes.
garethhwilson
Novice

Post by garethhwilson »

its full release build 7600 of Windows 7 Professional

Cheers Gostev i have a call open with support already for this anyway so i will ask them for the hotfix, i will let you know hopw it goes and thanks for all the replies guys, i have to say these forums are far more helpfull than vizioncore ever were.... :lol:
garethhwilson
Novice

Post by garethhwilson »

i still havent recieved the hotfix for this though after mailing support yesterday :(

Case 515058
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Gareth,

Don't worry, I'm sure our support team will send you the fix as soon as it is available and fully tested by our QA team. :wink:
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Fixed in version 4.1