Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
naditha.w
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Naditha Warnasuriya

Exchange Backup - Different Retention periods

Post by naditha.w »

Hi all,

One of customers has a Exchange setup that needs to backed up by Veeam. His production mailboxes and Online Archive mailboxes resides different databases. Those two databases are located in two different drives. Furthermore the OS & the Exchange binaries are saved in different drives.

His ultimate requirement is to have two different retention periods for his production mailboxes and the online archive mailboxes. I thought of proceeding with two backup jobs, one including the drive which has Production EDB (along with OS & Exchange) & other with only the online archive EDB.

But when I tested this scenario with a item level restore using the first backup job (The one which has only the Production EDB), I get an error "Connection did not succeed. Try again later" at the selection page of the deleted items. This happens only for the mailboxes on which the online archive is enabled.

Appreciate if someone can shed some light on this, either how I can achieve this or why this error comes up. Thanks in advance.

Naditha
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Exchange Backup - Different Retention periods

Post by veremin »

Connection did not succeed. Try again later.
It seems to be generic Exchange Web Service error and not something related to VB&R itself.

In general, EWS provides the functionality to enable client applications to communicate with the Exchange server and it is being used by VB&R to retrieve objects for Exchange 2010.

First of all, make sure you’re using proper credentials.

Additionally, sometimes you might need to configure Exchange impersonation for Exchange 2010 in order to solve this issue.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

If we are talking about Exchange 2010, you might want to consider Veeam Explorer for Exchange available in v6.5, a powerful add-on allowing for granular Exchange item-level recovery directly from backup files.
naditha.w
Novice
Full Name: Naditha Warnasuriya

Post by naditha.w »

Hi all,

Thank you very much for the replies. This error is a generic Exchange error. I completely agree with you. But the issue is, as this error is coming from the backup exchange which is running in the lab, from which we are trying to restore from. It seems that when the archive mail box is missing, exchange is not letting me to access the production mailbox as well. I tried to restore from the backup which contained only the archive items, but the result was same. Now the same error comes up for the both mail boxes (One with online archive & without the archive). Exchange impersonation was enabled from the beginning as the customer needed that requirement as well. Credentials could not be a problem as I was able to restore successfully earlier, when I backed up both production and archive in the same backup job.

I am considering the Veeam Explorer since item level recovery is a nightmare with the customer requirement.
But if the customer wants to ,
- Recover a complete mailbox will he be able to do it using the Veeam Explorer directly to the Exchange?
- Recover production "edb" Will he be able to do it using the Veeam Explorer?
- What could be the correct restore procedure for the above scenarios, as I am having two separate backup jobs for production and archive?
- How will the exchange behave when I restore the production mail box and the archive mailbox separately?

I am really sorry for the long list of questions. Thanks

Naditha
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

naditha.w wrote: - Recover a complete mailbox will he be able to do it using the Veeam Explorer directly to the Exchange?
Yes, he will be able to restore production mailboxes into their original location. However, this capability is available in Veeam B&R Enterprise Edition only and not available for online archive.
naditha.w wrote: - Recover production "edb" Will he be able to do it using the Veeam Explorer?
You can use other Veeam B&R cababilities to extract the whole Exchange database from the backup (guest OS FLR seems to be the easiest one). Veeam Explorer for Exchange is used to browse this database and restore items from it.
naditha.w wrote: - What could be the correct restore procedure for the above scenarios, as I am having two separate backup jobs for production and archive?
Both procedures are described in the Veeam B&R user guide in detail, looks like no additional steps are required in your specific case.
artaker
Influencer
Full Name: Philip B.

[MERGED] Problem with Exchange Explorer Restore

Post by artaker »

Hello Guys,

I have Problem with Restore "single" Mails with Veeam Explorer for Exchange.
When I start the Wizzard , and restore a Mail - I become the following Error.

"Connection did not Succeed. try again later."

Can you help me ??

thanks in advance
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Philip, it's hard to say why you cannot restore Exchange items just looking at this generic error message. What Exchange Server version are you using? Do you have a support case opened for this issue?
artaker
Influencer
Full Name: Philip B.

Post by artaker »

We have exchange 2013 and VBR 7.
Yes I opened a support Case.

I can restore when I use the Credentials from the User Mailbox , not with the admin.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. » 1 person likes this post

Philip, I believe that you need to grant administrator account full mailbox rights on Exchange server manually to be able to do that: How to restore a mailbox without needing the users passw