Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
McClane
Expert
Liked: 11 times

Single drive media set policy question

Post by McClane »

Hi,

I guess I need some clarification to understand the tape media management in Veeam 7.
At one customer site I have two backup jobs that don't run on the same day but are both in one backup to tape job.
I have media set with 5 days retention. It's just a single drive with no library and only manual change.
But what should I set the creat new media set options to?
If I say continue useing the current, it will write every backup after the previous. So I have a tape with 4 backups on it now. What will happen when the tape is full?
If I take the second option, create new media set every session, it will emtpy the tape every time, what would be okay, if it won't purge the first of the two jobs that are in the backup to tape job. It seem to ignore the retention peroid.
I also tried the third option, and set the time just before the disk backup starts. Result from last night tape job was: there is nothing to backup.

What are the right options to copy 2 jobs to a single tape without having a library if one of the jobs does not run every day?

Greetings,

Manuel
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Single drive media set policy question

Post by veremin »

What will happen when the tape is full?
You will be asked to insert a new tape media, since the existing has already reached its limit.
If I take the second option, create new media set every session, it will emtpy the tape every time, what would be okay, if it won't purge the first of the two jobs that are in the backup to tape job. It seem to ignore the retention peroid.
New media set will be created on new tape, indeed, regardless of the amount of free space available on the previous tape. Though, I’m not sure whether I completely follow you here. Could you elaborate a little bit on what you’re trying to achieve?

Thanks.
McClane
Expert
Liked: 11 times

Post by McClane »

I will try :)

Customer changes the tape every day. All backups go to one single tape as fullbackups. Tapes will be overwritten after a week.

Works fine if I only have one job and create a new media set for every session in the media settings.
But if I have more then one job linked to the tape job, it overwrites the first job, so I only have the last job on tape.
One of the job only runs weekly, the other runs daily, maybe that causes the problems.

Most other backup programs have a retention setting for appending jobs to media. So if the next job is in the appending retention period, it will append it to the tape. If not it will ask for a new tape or it will overwrite the tape if the write protection is due.
In Veeam I can only select append until tape full or always overwrite even if the tape has a fresh backup on it. For users without librarys that won't work very well.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You mean that the tape job cycle that took place when there were restore points to copy for both backup jobs (daily, weekly) had firstly copied daily backups and, then, overwrote them with weekly ones. The point is – can it be that up to that moment the backup data had already fallen out of retention period and was expectedly overwritten? Thanks.