Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
tscott
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Tom Scott

Exchange Backup Questions / Best Practices

Post by tscott »

Hello, I was just wondering if someone can give me a "best practice" guide for backing up Exchange.. Versions would be great too.. (as in for Exchange 2003 do this, 2007 do this, 2010 do this)..

Questions I have are what should the maximum Exchange database(s) size be for a good Veeam backup? Does it matter what the drive size is or just the databases?

Also, in regards to restoring.. I have a client on 6.5 and I did a test restore using the Exchange explorer and it was a BREEZE!! I'm new to the product so this is all I've ever done.. I read that you had to do this in a virtual lab?? Was that before 6.5? Is that for versions prior to Exchange 2010? IE: What versions of Veeam / Exchange can you use the explorer restore with?

Thank you!
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Exchange Backup Questions / Best Practices

Post by foggy » 1 person likes this post

tscott wrote:Hello, I was just wondering if someone can give me a "best practice" guide for backing up Exchange.. Versions would be great too.. (as in for Exchange 2003 do this, 2007 do this, 2010 do this)..
Tom, there are a lot of existing discussions regarding Exchange backup&recovery on this forum, I recommend searching for best practices. As to general recommendations, here is a brief summary:

1. Enable application-aware image processing.
2. Truncate Exchange logs in case you do not do this with other tools.
3. If you experience VSS timeout with Exchange 2010, try to apply recommendations given in this thread.

In addition to this, a couple of webinars covering all the aspects of Exchange backup&recovery with Veeam that might be helpful:
http://www.veeam.com/videos/advanced-ex ... -1320.html
http://www.veeam.com/go/vPower-webinar
tscott wrote:I read that you had to do this in a virtual lab?? Was that before 6.5? Is that for versions prior to Exchange 2010? IE: What versions of Veeam / Exchange can you use the explorer restore with?
If you are talking about Veeam Explorer for Exchange available since v6.5, then it supports Exchange 2010 only and does not require virtual lab. For previous versions of Exchange Server you can use Exchange AIR functionality that involves virtual lab in the restoration process.

Hope this helps.
trackstar
Expert
Liked: 4 times

[MERGED] : Veeam Backup 6.5

Post by trackstar »

Just recently installed Veeam Backup 6.5. Looking to get some more information as to how to backup an Exchange 2010 mailbox. Does the software truncate the transaction logs on Exchange?

Anybody can refer me to more information.

Thanks,
trackstar. :mrgreen:
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

You’ve been merged to the existing topic, so, please take a look at the answers, as well as, the links provided above for possible answers.
How to backup an Exchange 2010 mailbox?
As it's been already mentioned , don’t forget to enable Application Aware Image Processing option in the job settings. AAIP is an ad-hoc mechanism, which allows VB&R to create transactionally consistent backup of a VM running VSS-aware applications (such as Active Directory, Microsoft SQL, Microsoft Exchange, Sharepoint) without powering them off. Furthermore, it ensures successful VM recovery, as well as proper recovery of all applications installed on the VM without any data loss and also it notifies applications about them being backed up.
Does the software truncate the transaction logs on Exchange?
Yes, it does. VB&R provides advanced options for controlling truncation of transaction logs so that you can ensure correct backup of applications that use transaction logs. The logs can be truncated after every backup job, every successful backup or not truncated at all.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
EnriquePhoenix
Novice
Full Name: Enrique Rivera

[MERGED] Exchange Backup on Multiple SANs

Post by EnriquePhoenix »

This more a question about how to set up multiple Exchange 2010 backups.

We have 2 SANs in different locations. I want to create a backup job to each SAN on a daily basis.

I have recovered the Exchange Server many times from backups but still have not tried to restore the server to a current state with VSS/Transaction logs.

My concern is if each job truncates logs and I have to do a recovery, how does having 2 backup jobs affect us from recovery. How will this affect VSS recovery?

Is there any write-ups that someone can recommend on how to perform a VSS recovery using Veeam?

Maybe this is just a bad method to use what would you recommend to have multiple copies in different sites. I also thought about using a Sync program to keep the 2 SANs synced instead of using Veeam.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

EnriquePhoenix wrote:Maybe this is just a bad method to use what would you recommend to have multiple copies in different sites. I also thought about using a Sync program to keep the 2 SANs synced instead of using Veeam.
If this is the same Exchange server, syncing backups using some third-party software is currently a preferable approach from the VM performance perspective as you do not need to affect its operation twice by different backup jobs.

Also, please see recommendations given above for general considerations regarding Exchange backup and recovery using Veeam B&R. Thanks!
technerd
Novice
Full Name: Antonio S.

Post by technerd »

v.Eremin wrote: Yes, it does. VB&R provides advanced options for controlling truncation of transaction logs so that you can ensure correct backup of applications that use transaction logs. The logs can be truncated after every backup job, every successful backup or not truncated at all.

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
I'm very new, and even newer to the forums. Been hiding out, trying to absorb as much as I can, but have to ask, since I'm not clear on the above, and cannot seem to find a clear answer.

Questions on the settings, which is mainly why I'm commenting here -

Which is best for which situation? Is one better for a system with circular logging, for example, while another may not be??
I currently have Application Aware Processing set. Under settings for that, I have the 1st two radio buttons set (by default, it seems); "Require successful application processing," and "Truncate logs on Successful backup Only."

Would the defaults listed above, with the application aware processing set, be fine for 99% of Exchange setups?

Agree that it'd be nice to see a best practice doc for Exchange. These options seem mostly obvious, but with something as critical as Exchange, I think it's understandable that some are a little nervous about backing it up properly. The link somewhere about MS not fully supporting a snapshot based backup of Exchange is also a little disconcerting, but I honestly won't mind that as long as I can get it backing up smoothly, and without waiting for an eternity for a snapshot to be 'deleted.' Any advice on this most appreciated!
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Would the defaults listed above, with the application aware processing set, be fine for 99% of Exchange setups?
Yep. Default settings are indeed recommended ones. Having these settings enabled guarantees that not until VM have been properly processed and successful backup has been created, will Exchange logs be truncated.

Thanks.
danielchung
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel Chung

Post by danielchung »

Regarding the tips in KB1744, network mode is recommended instead of the appliance mode. I'm not quite sure what's the reason behind this. If I'm planning to just backing up the passive node in a DAG, assuming the fail-over issue won't happen during backup. Does it make difference in choosing between NBD and appliance mode?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hi, Daniel. You might want to take a look at the original topic and see from where these recommendations came. Thanks.
danielchung
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel Chung

Post by danielchung »

I've read that post before I post here. Correct me if I'm wrong, what I got from the original post is that to use the fastest method (either Direct SAN or network mode with 10Gb connectivity) in data retrieval in order to shorten the backup window so that to faster the snapshot commit time. This is to prevent fail-over due to DAG timeout.

Does it mean appliance mode has slower performance compare to 10Gb network mode? Sorry I couldn't find a clear explanation on why not to use appliance mode.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I believe what is meant here is the fact that Virtual Appliance mode has some overhead required to hotadd disks, while network mode doesn't, which could make it faster on the fast links.