Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
menced
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Sim. Men.

Backup and backup of backups

Post by menced »

Let's suppose I make a backup on a QNAP with Veeam. If I use two qnaps with rsync in order to duplicate backup data and the primary QNAP get destroyed, is there a possibility from veeam to link data stored on secondary QNAP (even if not directly made by veeam but from a copy) to restore data on VMs?
menced
Enthusiast

Re: Backup and backup of backups

Post by menced »

More in general the question is: if I have a directory with some backups made using veeam copied from somewhere, is it possible to use them to restore VMs or these informations are not enough (for example informations written on server database) ?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Yes, it’s possible to restore VMs from the backup files that aren’t reflected in the backup console.

In order to do so, you can either import backup files first to the console of VB&R server and, then, restore required data or use standalone utility called extract.exe with which you will be able to restore VMs without installing Veeam backup console.

Thanks.
menced
Enthusiast

Post by menced »

So a backup itself contains all informations about restore? I can simply copy a backup file and use it to restore without any other information?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2719 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, that's correct. Make sure you copy VBK file (full backup) and the VIB/VRB files (incremental restore points).