Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dschrader@iu17.org
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Daniel Schrader

Backup Copy and Application Group

Post by dschrader@iu17.org »

Hi Guys,

I would like to create an Application Group so that I can start up VMs so that I can restore items from an exchange mailbox.

Current setup:
I have a Dell R710 at the production site for short term backups.
I have a Dell R610 with a Dell MD1000 attached to it at the Disaster Recovery Site for long term backups.
There is a 100MB pipe to the Disaster Recovery Site from the Production Site.

I would like to use backup copy so that I can send the backups from the production site to the disaster recovery site after hours so that I do not have to have a second backup job running in order to have a long term off site backup. I am using the short term backup so that I can have access to the data right away.

I tried to point the application group to the backup copy and it did not show up. Is this normal? Am I suppose to be able to do this?

Thanks
Dan
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Backup Copy and Application Group

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Hello Dan,

What version of Exchange server are you using? Have you considered using Veeam Explorer for Exchange to recover items from the mailbox?

Thank you!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6646 times

Post by Gostev »

I believe this is not supposed to work (SureBackup from backups produced by Backup Copy jobs), as v7 reference architecture assumes that all vPower functionality is running of primary backup storage, instead of secondary archival storage that stores copies of your backups (typically with extended retention policy). While technically it is possible to implement, this required additional development and testing to support, and did not make much sense given the reference architecture, so we decided not to spend time on adding support for this scenario.
dschrader@iu17.org
Influencer

I am using Exchange 2007. We are looking to upgrade to 2013 but that wont be till early next year. The reason I ask is because there is no way to restore an email from exchange 2007 when using backup copy. Also this would help when trying to do a SQL restore of a specific table, query, etc. no matter what version of SQL I am using.

I would think that this would be a great feature since there backup copy has a great archival purpose. So a year from now I need to start up our exchange 2007 server from a backup to restore deleted items. For instance I use the archiving of the backup copy to have a yearly backup of our exchange server. An employee is accused of sexual harassment and I have to go back to a backup because he deleted the e-mails and the person being sexually harassed also deleted the e-mails. How do I get those e-mails back from the backup copy?

On the SQL side we store HIPPA data on our SQL servers and sometimes have to go back months to get information out of the tables in case someone deleted the item.

So maybe I am just a little confused why 2 of (in my opinion) your big features dont work together.

Thanks,
Dan
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

dschrader@iu17.org wrote:So maybe I am just a little confused why 2 of (in my opinion) your big features dont work together.
There is a third big feature called Instant VM Recovery that allows to restore in all the mentioned cases.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Otherwise, you can deploy additional instance of VB&R for the solid granular restoring purpose. The files produced by backup copy jobs can be imported to the console of this new server and, after that , you will be able to utilize U-AIR functionality, adding imported VMs to the application group. Thanks.
dschrader@iu17.org
Influencer

Thank you guys for the information. I will just set up a second Veeam B&R Server for the U-Air functionality that I need.
xianmacx
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Ian Allie

[MERGED] Surebackup job linked to a backup copy?

Post by xianmacx »

Good Morning,

So with the new v7, we have switched all of our offsite backup jobs to offsite "backup copy" jobs. This is working great so far with the WAN accel.

In on the old scenario, we would run our surebackup job against the offsite backup, at the central site. With the "backup copy" jobs, it doesn't seem like you can run surebackup verification and link it to a "backup copy" job.

Can you link a surebackup job to a "backup copy" job?

Thanks,
Ian
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [MERGED] Surebackup job linked to a backup copy?

Post by foggy »

xianmacx wrote:Can you link a surebackup job to a "backup copy" job?
No. However, you could use additional Veeam B&R server to implement backups verification.