Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
SGL3
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: SGL3

AT&T STaaS

Post by SGL3 »

**Feature Request** for Veeam to support the AT&T Storage as a Service product. AT&T STaaS uses EMC Atmos on the backend it would be great if we can get Veeam to support it.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Re: AT&T STaaS

Post by Andreas Neufert »

Try our Backup & Replication Cloud Edition. EMC Atoms will work with them I think because of Openstack and Amazon Cloud API Support from Atmos. You can download 30 day Trial to test it.

But please be aware that because there are no Veeam computing ressources on the target (Atomos) side, you have to tranfer the full backups once a week or at least once a month.
SGL3
Influencer

Post by SGL3 »

Like many storage vendors EMC Atmos has support for the Amazon S3 API which I think would work with Veeam but unfortunately AT&T did not choose to deploy this feature on the AT&T STaaS product. So in this case we are left with the native EMC Atmos API.

I did try several attempts to get Veeam to work with AT&T STaaS before I found out they did not implement the Amazon S3 API in their deployment and I could not get it to work. I think in this case Veeam will have to implement direct support for EMC Atmos and not rely on the S3 API if they want Veeam to work with AT&T STaaS.

I hope Veeam will do this.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Same with Openstack API?
SGL3
Influencer

Post by SGL3 »

Hi Andreas, not sure what you mean about it being the same with the Openstack API can you please clairify?
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

I was too enthusiastic because of Google search and the found headlines (Openstack Atmos). Sorry please scratch that.

I found a very interessting discussion about AT&T SaaS offering here in the Forum.
Veeam Cloud Edition to Private Storage
SGL3
Influencer

Post by SGL3 »

That was my post. However I later found out, although the AT&T STaaS documentation regarding the EMC Atmos plaform states that EMC Atmos supports the Amazon S3 API, AT&T did not deploy it that way.

So we're back to needing Veeam to support the native EMC Atmos API. Some vendors do support it like Riverbed, TwinStrata, Symantec etc. we just need to get Veeam on this list -

https://www.synaptic.att.com/clouduser/ ... viders.htm
nmace
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times

Post by nmace »

Bump this feature request, it would be very nice if Veeam Cloud Edition could backup directly to AT&T's cloud storage.
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management

Post by Andreas Neufert » 1 person likes this post

Talked with some EMC SEs in Germany. They told me that Openstack is on the Atmos Roadmap. Fingerscrossed that AT&T will use this feature later.

Now v7 is out and there is a compleatly different, but very charming way to bring your backups to cloud.
With Enterprise Plus Version you can use the implemented WAN Accelerators to bring your backups to the cloud.
You Need an working Windows System in the cloud with space for the backups and deploy the Veeam WAN Accelerators (and Repository Role) on a local System and on that Windows machine in the cloud.

Traffic saving between you and the cloud can be 20-50 times compared with need of weekly/monthly full backup Transfer to the cloud with cloud edition own functionallity.

Do the AT&T cloud can provide you with a Windows VM as well?
SGL3
Influencer

Post by SGL3 »

In my opinion for AT&T STaaS to work with Veeam it will require Veeam to implement support for the EMC Atmos API which is how AT&T has chosen to implement their STaaS service. Veeam is a very nimble company that is good at rolling out updated software with new features so I am hopeful this will appear soon.