Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
michal
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michal

Tape overwrite period

Post by michal »

Hi,

just one quick question. Where can I find something like "overwrite protected until" field (this is how backup exec shows it) on each tape?

Has Veeam something like that or how can I find out, which tape is ready to rewrite?

Thanks for answering.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Tape overwrite period

Post by veremin »

You can find these settings by going to Media Pool -> Settings -> Retention. Thanks.
michal
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Michal

Post by michal »

Yeah, sure I got this, but this is not the issue. Let me explain my situation a bit more:

I have one media pool called "5 weeks" with retention set to 5 weeks. :-)

Several tape jobs are targeted to this pool. One week backups takes about 8 tapes to store it.

After first week I put 8 tapes in offsite vault and put 8 scratch tapes in library. (this goes on and on)

After fifth week I have vault full of 40 tapes and I don't know, which tapes put into library, because I have no field that is saying, this tape is after its retention period and can be overwritten.

Or am I wrong?
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Hmm, you can go to the Backup Infrastructure -> Tape -> Library -> Media -> Offline and sort tape medias in accordance with the media sets they belong to. The tapes belonging to the oldest media set (the one that was created 5 weeks ago) can be taken to the library and, then, overwritten.

Thanks.
veremin
Product Manager

Post by veremin »

Also, I’m wondering how media sets are created. Are they created during each week or day? And what name do they have? I’m asking, since the oldest mediaset and tapes belonging to it can be, probably, listed via PS script. Thanks.