Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jlester
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Jason Lester

Backup Copy Job Question on Restore Points

Post by jlester »

Our main backups go to a NAS that is in another building connected by gigabit fiber. We are now using the Backup Copy job to also copy those backups to another NAS at a different offsite location. For the Backup Copy jobs, we currently have it set to just the last 7 days until we see how much space it is going to take. Everything seems to be going fine. The only odd thing is when we look at the Backup Copy job logs. For the Backup Copy job that started at midnight last night, it shows it processing all the VMs. At the end of the job, it shows "Restore point 9/19/2013 12:00 AM created successfully". Why is it showing the restore point from last week instead of for the new one that was created yesterday on the main backup job?

If the main NAS were to fail for some reason, how would we restore from the Backup Copy job? If I am looking at a VM's restore points, does it just show a particular restore point once for both the main repository and the backup copy repository?

Thanks,
Jason
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Backup Copy Job Question on Restore Points

Post by foggy »

jlester wrote:At the end of the job, it shows "Restore point 9/19/2013 12:00 AM created successfully". Why is it showing the restore point from last week instead of for the new one that was created yesterday on the main backup job?
Jason, is there a chance that the backup job was not complete at the moment when the backup copy job has started?
jlester wrote:If the main NAS were to fail for some reason, how would we restore from the Backup Copy job? If I am looking at a VM's restore points, does it just show a particular restore point once for both the main repository and the backup copy repository?
No, you should see the corresponding backup copy job under the Backups node in Veeam B&R and be able to restore from there.
jlester
Enthusiast

Post by jlester »

There are definitely restore points past 9/19. When I look at the Backups - Disk node, I do see all the VMs with the last seven days of restore points for the Backup Copy Repository. I guess from looking at it that the message means the last Full restore point was on 9/19, which matches my 7 day retention for the backup copy job. The days after 9/19 are shown as Incremental.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

This actually should not be the case, the session log should display the date of the copied restore point. If you could open a case and provide full logs, our support could look into possible reasons of this behavior. Thanks.
jlester
Enthusiast

Post by jlester »

Case #00452087
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Thanks for providing the case ID, much appreciated.