Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
vipthomps
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Eric Thompson

Run Once option for Job?

Post by vipthomps »

Having Jobs chained and running only one job requires disabling the next one in the chain before the desired job finishes.

Example

Job A - Start at 10PM
Job B - Start after Job A
Job C - Start after Job B

If i want to run only Job B as a one time event (say a software upgrade by a vendor) I need to disable Job C, Run job B, then enable C after the fact. Backups should have as little human interaction as possible. A run-once option on the job would be an excellent edition in my eyes.

Thoughts?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Run Once option for Job?

Post by Gostev »

Why are you chaining the jobs? As a best practice, we recommend against doing this.
vipthomps
Service Provider
Liked: 6 times
Full Name: Eric Thompson

Post by vipthomps »

You recommend against the option in the scheduling portion of the job properties to "Run this job after XXX Job"? that's the method I'm referring to. I was probably improperly calling that chaining as that's what you used to call doing it by post job scripting right?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

It doesn't matter how you chain your jobs (either via post backup job script or using built-in GUI option). If the main reason of chaining is to limit the concurrent load on your proxy/repository servers, then we recommend using concurrent tasks settings on these components.

See these topics for further reading > Quick Question - Concurrent Tasks and Veeam B&R 6.5 jobs chain.

Let me know if that helps.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Also, if it’s just the case of three jobs, you might want to utilize this PowerShell script that will handle the process of disabling/enabling for you. Thanks.