Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
PFSTT
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Yariv Hazan

Removing object monitoring

Post by PFSTT »

Hi everyone,
This seems like a banal question but I couldn't find an explanation anywhere.
We are using Veeam Management Pack Version:6.0.0.1421 to monitor out VMware 5.1 environment.
We have two clusters and ~~18 hosts.

My question is, can I select specific objects (VMs, NICs etc.) which I do not want to monitor for various reasons and remove those?

Thanks!
Jasmine
PFSTT
Novice

Re: Removing object monitoring

Post by PFSTT »

Hi again,
I would appreciate a response...

Thank you.

Jasmine
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Post by sergey.g »

Hello Jasmine,

Thank you very much for your question. And please accept my appologies for the delay.
I'm afraid right now you can remove a certain VM from monitoring only by moving it to the unmonitored host. You can also disable VM monitoring completely.

We've been thinking about some functionality to remove certain objects from monitoring, but in some cases this requires huge changes, so initially we are thinking about creating functionality which would allow customers to filter out VMs and Datastores. I'm afraid I don't have any details for now, but we hope this should be available in our next update. We hope you like it.

Thanks.
PFSTT
Novice

Post by PFSTT »

Hi Sergey,
Thanks for your answer :) Might this include disabling the monitoring of objects like NICs of the host and other "smaller" objects?
I think this could be extremely useful.

Thanks!
Jasmine
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hello Jasmine,

I'm afraid that technically it's more complicated than filter-out VMs and Datastores. So I don't think we can add such functionality in the upcomming updates. However we would appreciate if you can share your ideas of how such functionality can be used and how it can help you with monitoring your infrastructure.

Thanks.
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know that with release of Veeam MP for Vmware 6.5 it is now possible to exclude certain datastores and VMs from the discovery, so that they won't appear in SCOM at all.

In order to do that you can use overridable parameters for "Veeam Stage 2 - Virtual Machine discovery" and for "Veeam Stage 2 - Datastore discovery", you can find them in Object Discoveries in the Authoring section of SCOM console.

For datastores discovery there is "ExcludeDatastoresByDatastoreName" parameter.
For VMs discovery there the following parameters:

ExcludeVMsByDatastoreName - to exclude VMs which are located on a certain datastore
ExcludeVMsByFolderName - to exclude VMs located in a certain VM folder
ExcludeVMsByVMName - to exclude VMs with certain name

You can use wildcards in these overrides, something like "*_dev1_*" or "*_todelete". And our MP for VMware is already using this parameter to remove temporary Veeam Backup and Replication datastores from discovery, so that your infrastructure in SCOM is not polluted with unnecessary and temporary objects when for instance VM Verification process is running.

We hope you will like new functionality and it will help you optimize monitoring of your Virtualization environment.
Thank you very much for providing us with great ideas. We really appreciate your opinion and your suggestions. With such awesome customers we can continue to make our product better and better.