Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
puderbaer
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Uwe Sachse

Sharepoint Restore of Filestream document

Post by puderbaer »

Hello together,

I'm trying to restore a single item using Sharepoint explorer in VEEAM 7. As long as the document is located inside the database, everything works fine and the restore succeeds. But we are also running some DBs with filestream / Blobstore option enabled, in order to keep the databases small and store larger files outside in a folder. When I try to restore such a document, I always get the error message:

No provider of type <filestream> found. Check the server configuration or install provider on the client.

I have filestream support enabled on the Staging SQL Server where VEEAM B&R is installed. I also installed RBS Tools on the system. Has anybody successfully restored a Sharepoint document yet that is located in a Blobstore?

Thank you in advance
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Sharepoint Restore of Filestream document

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Uwe,

Could you please confirm that RBS Tools you installed, are up to date and include latest hotfixes? Thank you.
puderbaer
Novice

Post by puderbaer »

Hello Dimitry,

yes, RBS Tools are up to date. I tried to restore the SharePoint item on two different Staging Servers, one with SQL 2008 and the other with SQL 2012 running. I installed the corresponding versions of RBS tools. The original SharePoint Database Server runs on SQL 2008 Version, SharePoint Version is 2010 Foundation. I'm wondering if I have to install some other SharePoint components on the staging server.
Best regards
Uwe
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Uwe,

Please, take a look at this blog thread - I believe this issue is related to .Net framework updates/ missing components?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Uwe, is the BLOB storage located on the same server where the main SharePoint database being backed up is located?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Looking further, the issue seems to be caused by the staging SQL server configuration, so you would probably get the same error while trying to save the file to disk instead of restoring it. To be able to restore objects stored in RBS, the following should be done on the staging SQL server:

1. FILESTREAM options should be enabled in the SQL Server properties in SQL Server Configuration Manager.
2. The following query should be executed:

Code: Select all

EXEC sp_configure filestream_access_level, 2
RECONFIGURE
3. Client and FILESTREAM Provider > Client options should be enabled while installing RBS API.

You can install RBS API from here (works fine in our lab environment).
puderbaer
Novice

Post by puderbaer »

Hello,

first of all thank you very much for the great and quick support.

- yes, the BLOB storage folder is located on SharePoint database server
- I enabled Filestream option and reconfigured filestream access level by executing the script.
- I tried both BLOB providers 2008 R2 annd 2012 (RBS.msi)
- select client and Filestream provider during setup

The errormessage in log is:

Error: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Data.SqlRemoteBlobs, Version=10.50.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=xxxxxxxxxx' (edited) or one of its dependencies. The system cannot find the file specified.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

I suggest you to contact technical support so they could take a closer look at your logs.
Kellen.Flood
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Kellen Flood

Post by Kellen.Flood »

hey foggy,

Has Veeam support resolved this issue?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Kellen,

Have you already tried the procedure mentioned by Alexander that includes enabling Filestream option and executing certain query?

Thanks.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

And since there's no support case ID in this thread, we cannot track down the resolution.
Ben.Pierson
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Ben Pierson

Post by Ben.Pierson » 1 person likes this post

Just to chime in here in case somebody else has this issue, that case number was 00453588. As far as I can tell from the case notes (originally in German), the issue seems to have self resolved on a later run of the job. Is it possible that any of the recommended changes require a reboot he was missing on the first attempt?
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Ben, in our internal testing reboot was not required.
jluce
Enthusiast
Full Name: John Luce

[MERGED]: How to correctly backup/restore SQL filestream fil

Post by jluce »

We ran into a problem when we were looking at restoration of a MS SQL database that has filestreaming set up on it. The Veeam documentation tends to talk about SharePoint in regards of using filestreamed databases. However we have a filestreamed database that is in use with a SQL app and we were wondering how to best backup and restore it? An attempt to restore a filestreamed database was made over the week-end but failed. Upon review, that was most likely due to the fact the staging server isn't setup for filestreaming and probably should be. Looking for guidance on how best to handle this.
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 724 times

Post by PTide »

Hi,

It's hard to say what was the root cause of failure without log details. Please first review the thread and double-check that you're on the latest update. If the problem persists then please open a case with our support team so they can take a closer look at your environment, and post you case ID in this thread.

Thank you.
jluce
Enthusiast
Full Name: John Luce

Post by jluce »

Sorry about not following up here. The issue ended up in Tier 3 support. It turned out that in v8 the account being used for SQL services on this SQL instance did not did not have administrative access to the file system, so if it did not matter that the account being used to perform the restore had access to the OS when it tried to mount the filestream files it would fail. We are told this has been worked out in version 9 which we have recently deployed but not come back around full circle to test.