Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
toa1970
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Torben Andersen

Failed Accessing Windows Event Log

Post by toa1970 »

Hi,

I have two OpsMgr 2012 SP1 UR3 servers, I have updated the MP from version 5.7 to 6.0 on the first OpsMgr server (the RMS emulator) - on the second OpsMgr server I now get the "Failed Accessing Windows Event Log" error message. I have checked this http://www.veeam.com/kb1496 - I have rebuiled full topology from the Web interface, but I still get the error message. Please help me :D
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Failed Accessing Windows Event Log

Post by sergey.g »

Hello Torben,

First of all I would appreciate more details about current configuration - do you still have any components of 5.7 infrastructure? Old collectors on other servers? Old MPs in SCOM?

Secondly, try to run "Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance" in the SCOM PowerShell, this should clean-up SCOM environment.

And lastly, I would appreciate if you can run "Show Failed Rules and Monitors for this Health Service" on the Health service affected by the issue (if it's RMS, then go to Monitoring > Operations Manager > Management Server State and then select the server), if output is empty - try to run "Show Running Rules and Monitors for this Health Service". Try to find nworks 5.7 objects there, let me know what exactly you find out.

Thanks.
toa1970
Influencer

Post by toa1970 »

Hi,
Remove-SCOMDisabledClassInstance solved the problem, thank you very much for your support :D
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Thank you for getting back with the update! We are glad that everything is working correctly now.
toa1970
Influencer

Post by toa1970 »

Hi,

I thought the problem was solved, I still get the error message :( I have opened a case at Veeam support, case number 00479314
sergey.g
Veteran

Post by sergey.g »

Hi Torben,

I'm sure our tech support team has a working solution for you. There are multiple workarounds for the issue, unfortunately the way SCOM works there always could be orphaned objects in the system. Once discovery removes them - the issue should be gone, but could occur again and again.

We really want to find a permanent solution for the issue, we already have some thoughts on how to fix symptoms of orphaned objects - errors about accessing Veeam logs, but what we really would like more is a solution for the root cause. And for that we need to understand all possible ways to produce orphaned objects - it's not that easy to create an orphaned object, but in some environments they appear&disappear, again and again quite often. We need to understand why.

Could you tell us more about your environment? Common reason for orphaned objects is frequent removals of VMs without SCOM agent uninstallation, do you have something similar? VDI(Vmware View)? Also sometimes VMs could frequently migrate from unmonitored hosts to monitored hosts and vice versa, do you have something like this in your environment?

We would really appreciate such additional information. You can tell us in a private message or using the support ticket.

Thanks.