Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
jbsengineer
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times

Offload to tape scenario

Post by jbsengineer »

Hello,

We have been testing VEEAM 4.0. We are an enterprise shop and run our AD/Exhchange/most enterprise systems inside VMware. We'd like to leverage this product for backups and possibly replication. However, we have the need to offload to tape once a week. We do this now with different applications. Usually we'd offload to tape and delete the disk backups. Because of the way VEEAM deals with backup archives I don't see how we could delete the VBK files without VEEAM jobs failing. I already checked for a cmdlet to remove a the backup sets but there isn't one....

Has anyone thought of this? Otherwise we'd have to have a heck of a lot of disk, :).

Thanks.
BillyT
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Bill Thompson

Re: Offload to tape scenario

Post by BillyT »

Call me crazy, but wouldnt you prefer to have the full backup on "a heck of a lot of disk"? Disk (for backup) is amazingly affordable, especially if you use SATA. I cant see why you wouldnt from a speed of restore point of view. You simply have one full backup and maybe retain six restore points (which are much smaller than the vbk) minimizing the disk consumption and send those files to tape weekly if you want. I back up VMs daily to RAID0 storage for speed and spin those files to tape weekly for retention and DR purposes - exactly what you are proposing. With the veeam architecture, you are always going to need to have that base vbk available + how ever many restore points. Once you get the base vbk and restore points the overall disk consumption rarely increases or changes dramatically.
albertwt
Veteran
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

OK, I have the same needs to backup to tape drive as well (LTO 4)

can we just point that backup location into a Shared Folder ? like Windows NFS shared folder and then just use NTBackup utility to write whatever in that particular directory once a month ?
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */
BillyT
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Bill Thompson

Post by BillyT »

albertwt wrote:OK, I have the same needs to backup to tape drive as well (LTO 4)

can we just point that backup location into a Shared Folder ? like Windows NFS shared folder and then just use NTBackup utility to write whatever in that particular directory once a month ?
Yep.
albertwt
Veteran
Liked: 46 times

Post by albertwt »

Good, glad to hear that :-o)

Cheers,

AWT
--
/* Veeam software enthusiast user & supporter ! */