Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Matt@Work
Enthusiast
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Matt Collier

Slow restore speeds via proxy

Post by Matt@Work »

HI

I haven't logged this yet as I'm not sure its a technical fault, just rather, my lack of knowledge with the software.

We have a 360GB VM which has failed in a remote office in France. We have an onsite ESX host, with a VM proxy and an attached NAS device. The B&R server is here in the UK, from which we administer all the backups. NAS connection is CIFS.

I instigated a VMDK file restore last night. After running for over 14 hours, its restored 1% or just over 4GB. Surely this is wrong as it means its a week for the backup to restore.

What settings should I be checking or what changes should I make for this to run faster?

Thanks

Matt
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Re: Slow restore speeds via proxy

Post by Gostev »

Hi Matt, 1% of 4GB in 14 hours is an issue regardless of the settings, so you should open a support case. The restore of 4GB VMDK should take 15-30 minutes in the worst case scenario. Did you pick the remote site's proxy server in the restore wizard? Thanks!
Andreas Neufert
VP, Product Management
Liked: 1408 times
Full Name: Andreas Neufert

Post by Andreas Neufert »

File Restore is processed over B&R Server. In your case: Mount over WAN, File Transfer after mounting goes from branch to HQ to branch.
If you want fast VMDK Restore, use the normal VM Restore or Instant Restore (new VM name) and unmount/Mount the VMDK where you need it. (If you only need vmdk restore instead of whole VM). Please check Proxy Setting at Repository and if you try normal VM restore. They need to Point to the Proxy at your branch.

Other Option is to add an additional VM with whole empty B&R Installation. Point it to the Repository => Hit rescann => Do the restore.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6715 times

Post by Gostev »

Reading through his post, he is not performing file level restore, but rather the entire VMDK file restore.