Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
andreground
Lurker
Liked: never

[7.0 PATCH 1] Quick Migration NOT working

Post by andreground »

Hi,
I'm trying to use quick migration to migrate the datastore of a VM.

So, the scenario is like this:

- 3 ESXi Essential Plus hosts
- 2 Datastores
- VM version 8
- NO Storage vMotion license

Objective:
VM will remain on the same ESXi hosts while the datastore should be changed from DS1 to DS2.

I've tested both V7 and V7 patch 1 with the same results; whenever I flag "Force Veeam quick migration" the operation ALWAYS fails withe the SAME error:

"Some VMs cannot be migrated" (there's just 1 VM in the job) and then "The VMWare vSphere 5 Essentials Plus license for host xxx does not include Storage vMotion. Upgrade the license".

Shouldn't it fallback using smartswitch technology when storage vmotion is not licensed as stated on both the website and faqs?

Thanks in advance,
Andrea
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [7.0 PATCH 1] Quick Migration NOT working

Post by foggy »

Andrea, it would be much appreciated if you could open a case and provide logs for investigation. Indeed, license check should not affect the ability to migrate VM via SmartSwitch in cases where "Force.." check box is selected and so far we were not able to reproduce the behavior you're experiencing internally.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: [7.0 PATCH 1] Quick Migration NOT working

Post by foggy »

According to R&D research, there could be an issue with failing over to SmartSwitch during Quick Migration when Storage vMotion is not licensed. However we still need logs to confirm and implement a proper fix, so I encourage you to open a case (unless you've already done that) and post its ID here. Thanks for pointing that out!