Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
fmt1962
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Daryl W

Backup to tape job. Restore Speed.

Post by fmt1962 »

I am also using an MSL2024 library with LTO4 drives.

Has anyone else actually tested restore from tape speed vs backup to tape speed.....

My LTO4 drive backs up quite OK at 120MBs using Veeam, I am happy enough with that for now.....

However when I actually do a restore it is running at only 2MBs yes that is right 2MBs!!!!!

A backup that took only 6 minutes including overhead (load tape from library etc).... but restore took over 2 hours!

I do think this performance IS an issue... sure we want reliable backup and restore, but I have some tape backups of over 4TB, at this rate they will take many days to restore...

With Backup Exec, backup and restore speeds were comparable, Veeam, 60x difference, there must be a coding problem here I expect.

Anyone else tested restore from tape speeds? Has anyone checked restore from tape (from a backup to tape job, not file to tape), I have found the restore runs at only 2MBs.... totally unusable for production.

I would suggest people test restore speeds as well as back speeds and report their findings......
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2252 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Backup to tape job. Restore Speed.

Post by veremin »

Hi, Daryl.

I’ve moved your post out of the existing discussion, since the questions raised by you seem to be irrelevant to the ones discussed there. Have you also had a chance to open a ticket with our support team and provide them with required logs that might shed a light on the said restore rates?

Thanks.
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Daryl,

When we are talking about performance issues it is good to know you environment setup details, as currently your restore speed seems to be beyond normal. How your Veeam B&R proxies, repositories are installed? How tape device is connected? Any chance you are using hardware encryption or hardware compression?

Thank you.
fmt1962
Influencer

Post by fmt1962 »

Hi team,
Thanks for your quick responses.

I have discussed this issue with support during an existing case. It was during this other case that this problem became evident.... I have been advised to open a support case for this, however I left on annual leave today and will not be back at work for 12 days or so. I will open a case as soon as I return, but I thought this might be worth discussing here to see if others have seen a similar issue.

The tape Library is a HP MSL2024 with LTO 4 drive, attached via FC. The write speed of 120MBs is really about spot on for the hardware, no problems there.
Backup server is physical HP DL380 Gen8 using direct FC path (8Gb), not hot add of course.

The backup and restore jobs for this particular issue are all local to the Veeam backup server, ie the backup job respository is saved to FC storage directly attached to the backup server, then the backup to tape job is from FC storage to FC attached tape library. So the only proxy involved is the local instance. All storage to VM's, tapes etc direct FC attached to backup server.

During the restore, the FC library is restoring back to the same FC attached repository on the Backup server when it originated, so the path for backup and restore is identical.

No hardware encryption or compression activated on this test backup.

Again thanks for the prompt questions, I will raise a ticket when I get back from annual leave, but until then, I hope this gets some discussion, I would be very interested to hear from others.

Regards,
Daryl
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Daryl,

Your setup looks good for me. Could you please let us know what drivers you are using for you tape drives, I know this may sound like a dry shot, but it good to double check that as well. Thank you
fmt1962
Influencer

Post by fmt1962 »

Tape Library - Hewlett Packard MSL G3 Series LIbrary (x64 based), Ver 2.0.0.0, date 25/06/2012
Drive - Hewlett Packard LTO Uplrium-4 Drive, Ver 1.0.7.0, date 28/06/2012
Tobias_Elfstrom
Enthusiast
Liked: 8 times
Full Name: Tobias Elfstrom

Post by Tobias_Elfstrom »

Hi, just thought I would contribute with some numbers.
In our environment we use a logical library within a IBM TS3500 Library with LTO4 tapes and backup at a speed of some 50-120 MB/s from a LAN based repository (10 Gbps Ethernet) to SAN attached tape drives (FC 4 Gbps) in actual writes (not processed).
A restore task going from a tape drive to a SAN repository on the same physical host that is attached to the tape drive gives me about 50-65 MB/s. So speed is not constant and slower on restore but I’d say in our case that is more due to the collective usage of some of our fibers since the tape library and the Veeam server is in different server halls.

Br Tobias