Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dualdj1
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Jason K. Brandt

Archive bit active on various already archived files V7.0

Post by dualdj1 »

I am running VEEAM 7.0, and have traditionally backed up to tape via Backup Exec. I am having a problem now of backing up way more data than I need, as somehow the archive bit is being set randomly on files in my backup directories, including VBK files. (It may not be random, but at least appears that way at this point).

My jobs are setup like this:
Primary backup job runs daily, with full synthetic on either Saturday or Sunday. Full synthetics are enabled with Transform to Rollback option. Backup Copy job is set to copy data to archive following completion of the primary backup job.

My question is... when rollback files get removed due to retention policy, is there any way this could cause the archive bit to be set on the VBK files? Or is it possible that the Backup Copy job is causing the archive bit to be set? Previously, the only archive bit that was being set, was on the newest incremental. if I need to I can contact support.

Thanks,
Jason
dualdj1
Enthusiast

Re: Archive bit active on various already archived files V7.

Post by dualdj1 »

One other tidbit I thought of, which may not actually be a VEEAM issue (trying to cover all my bases), is that this is on a 2012 deduplication volume... could the deduplication process be setting the archive bit?
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Hi, Jason. I’m wondering what settings are specified for the Windows 2012 deduplication jobs. More specifically, is there any correlation between files with reset archive bit and a time period that is set in “deduplicate files older than X days” option? Thanks.
dualdj1
Enthusiast

Post by dualdj1 »

I apologize for not updating sooner.

From the best I can tell, it appears to be Windows causing the archive bit to get reset, as the deduplication process handles the files. I have been able to work around the issue, by running a script that resets the archive bit for anything older than current day, and making sure my job only backups up the vib files. That seems to be taking care of it for now.

There could be a correlation between the number of days and files, as I have it currently set to 0 (deduplicate everything). It could be the case that if I increased that, the current day's wouldn't be reset, but it is the older files being reset that causes the problem.

I believe that this will be a moot point, once I am able to move to VEEAM for my tape backups, but I need to wait on hardware encryption keys before I can make the move.

Thanks for your time.