Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aeccles
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Arg! Why are patches so hard to find on website?

Post by aeccles »

It would be great if you guys could put links to the KBs/hotfix releases in the same place the B&R download is.
Other than going through the forums, is there a way to get to the hotfixes?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: Arg! Why are patches so hard to find on website?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Yes, you can get all the hotfixes through our online Knowledge Base too > http://www.veeam.com/kb_search_results. ... 0here/All/

Thanks for the feedback!
mmonroe
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Monroe

Post by mmonroe »

aeccles wrote:It would be great if you guys could put links to the KBs/hotfix releases in the same place the B&R download is.
Other than going through the forums, is there a way to get to the hotfixes?
I totally agree. You should be able to click downloads and see the fixes right there next to the main release. If you were downloading it fresh without knowing about the forums and whatnot, you would never know the patch existed.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

mmonroe wrote:You should be able to click downloads and see the fixes right there next to the main release.
And that's exactly where they are normally located ;) the v7 patch notification will appear there shortly as well, as the next stage of the patch release.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Also, a popup about the patch is already in place on the customer support portal at cp.veeam.com (you should get it first thing after you log on).
aeccles
Enthusiast
Liked: 6 times

Post by aeccles »

Thanks guys. I appreciate all of the responses. I just remember installing v6 and going through issues that I could have avoided had I known there were a few hotfixes out. They were not posted with the B&R download then, so I had no idea they existed until I started posting to the forums and opening tickets. It's great they will be posted there- I think many of us naturally look there.. thanks!
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 » 2 people like this post

IT would be lovely to have in-app notifications about new available patches with the option to download and install it directly from the console. Even if I know Veeam does not release so many patches between major releases t from the user experience it would be a nice addition.

Luca.
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

We discussed this internally several times now, but there is one factor that blocks this feature. Specifically, if our software will have the code capable of establishing internet connection to some internet server and passing some information, or even downloading or installing something, this will drive our federal and other high security customers and prospects nuts...
dellock6
Veeam Software
Liked: 1928 times
Full Name: Luca Dell'Oca

Post by dellock6 »

Makes sense indeed. So what about an option to enable/disable it? Could it be an acceptable option for high security customers? I would say they already firewalled everything so VBR would not have anyway any chance to go out into internet.
At the end, your software is already able to pass some informations over the internet since it can send out emails ;)
At a minimum, it could be only a quick note to inform there is a new patch, with only the link to go and download it via standard browser...
Luca Dell'Oca
Principal EMEA Cloud Architect @ Veeam Software

@dellock6
https://www.virtualtothecore.com/
vExpert 2011 -> 2022
Veeam VMCE #1
JeWe
Enthusiast
Liked: 9 times

Post by JeWe »

Hi all,

thanks to the TO. Just thought I'm too dumb to find it ;-)

Regardless of all the info given here, I would like to see patches and hotfixes under "Downloads". IMHO, that's there I expect them to be, not through other links...
What about an in-app option like "Check for updates"? Machines with no internet connection will get an error message, so what? All others will be fine with this. Not talking about automatical download and installion.

Regards