Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
sepj12927
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Per J

Colloector fail over!

Post by sepj12927 »

Hi,

We have a number of collectors in our SCOM 2012 environment spread across the world, when a collector fails another starts to communicate with the configured vCenter servers. This is all well and good, but when the collector returns to service I would like to be notified that my collector configuration isn't optimal, i.e. communicating across slow WAN links.

Is there something like that available out of the box or can I create something myself?

/Per
sergey.g
Veteran
Liked: 76 times
Full Name: Sergey Goncharenko

Re: Colloector fail over!

Post by sergey.g »

Hello Per,

Are you saying that collection jobs are not being load-balanced when failed collector recovers? There is an option "LoadBalanceOnCollectorRecovery" for virtualization extensions which control this behavior. It should be enabled by default and when collector recovers all jobs should be re-balanced.

If load-balance is working properly, but you want collectors in one region to pick-up jobs only from the same region - for such kind of purposes we have monitoring groups. You can configure regional monitoring groups and only collectors in this group will pick-up collection jobs from failed collector.

If you have only one collector per region, I think I would recommend to deploy stand-by collector in the same region and use monitoring group to limit the scope of failover.

Out of the box, our collector cannot detect that it's operating on a slow vSphere connection, for collector there is no difference between WAN link and just old and slow vcenter server.

There is PowerShell module in v6.0, so theoretically you can have a script that checks if there is a collection working over WAN links

Let me know if I missed something.
Thanks.
sepj12927
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Per J

Re: Colloector fail over!

Post by sepj12927 »

Sounds great, I've created monitoring groups now, so we'll see how it goes next time we have an outage.

Great with a quick reply. Thanks!

/Per