Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
itzikd
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: itzik

Hyper V Replication

Post by itzikd »

Hello,
I would like to offer my client replication solution . Today I have a backup of the Servers is performed using VEEAM 7 .
First, I will detail the client's workspace :
1.2 Windows Server 2008 R2 in Cluser Mode . Connecting to -Storage Dell MD3200I.(4 NIC ISCSI)
2. Servers attached to HP 1810 - 24G Switch .
3. 4 servers - Terminal , Exchange 2010 mail server 700 GB DB , File Server 800 GB.
the replicated server will be housed in the basement .
The server will be housed in the basement is a Dell R720 with 8 disks of 900GB .
I intend to connect the HP 1810 - 24G Switch basement and connect more with the optical fiber between the two sites .
My questions are :
1. Did I miss something in building the system (hardware \ software) ?
2.should i configure the Hyper - V in the basement with separate addresses on another network ?
3. I Realized that in order to download the server replication load on the source I need to add more Offhost proxy server . Whether it is realistic or possible to do without him ?
Thanks in advance for your help.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Re: Hyper V Replication

Post by veremin »

Did I miss something in building the system (hardware \ software) ?
Your plan looks solid, as to me.
I Realized that in order to download the server replication load on the source I need to add more Offhost proxy server . Whether it is realistic or possible to do without him ?
Yep, if you want to take the replication workload away from a production Hyper-V server to a target server, you should assign the role of off-host backup proxy to the “basement” server.

In your case, the off-host backup proxy role can be assigned to the machine, as long as,

• machine runs Microsoft Windows 2008 Server R2 with the Hyper-V role enabled,
• machine has access to the shared storage where VMs to be replicated reside,
• and VSS hardware provider that supports transportable shadow copies is installed on both source and target host.

Thanks.
itzikd
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: itzik

Post by itzikd »

Thanks for the response.
You mean server Hyper-V in the basement that contains all virtual machines can also be a server Offhost Proxy?
should i configure the Hyper - V in the basement in a differnt subnet?
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

itzikd wrote:You mean server Hyper-V in the basement that contains all virtual machines can also be a server Offhost Proxy?
Yes, provided it meets the above requirements.
itzikd wrote:should i configure the Hyper - V in the basement in a differnt subnet?
That is not required.