Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
typ
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Patrick Cunningham

vSphere Thin Provisioning Support

Post by typ »

Will the new version of Veeam support thin provisioned disks? I noticed in the current 3.0.1 build (I know it's not supported) that it takes a drive of 40GB that's thin provisioned to an actual 6GB still wants to write 40GB of data in backup and/or replication. Just wanted to know if Veeam will recognize the provisioning and write just the necessary 6GB to disk.

Much appreciated,

Patrick C.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: vSphere Thin Provisioning Support

Post by Gostev »

Patrick, this behavior remains unchanged in Veeam Backup 3.1. Processing thin-provisioned disks without expanding them to flat disks is a part of Veeam Backup 4.0 release that also relies on new vSphere APIs for disaster recovery (also known as vStorage API). Thank you.
typoman
Novice

Post by typoman »

I have a Veeam B&R 4.0 installation and I am replicating a couple VM's from one ESX4 host to another. The VM's (vHardware v7) have thin provisioned disks, but are still writing thick disks on the destination host. Isn't Veeam supposed to be writing thin disks on the destination host?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

Hello, you are observing the expected behavior, and this is documented in the Release Notes for v4. Support for replicating thin disks as thin is scheduled for version 4.5 in Q1 2010. Currently, thin-provisioned disks are only supported for backup and restore.

Thank you for reusing the existing thread :D
typoman
Novice

Post by typoman »

Is thin-to-thin replication part of the current release yet?
Gostev
Chief Product Officer

Post by Gostev »

No, current release is 4.1.1 and it does not support thin-to-thin replication. This feature is part of 5.0 release (we have decided to skip 4.5 mentioned above, and are going straight for 5.0).