Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
dgatta
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Davide Gatta

veeam Vs acronis - WAN acceleration

Post by dgatta »

Hello Sirs.

Has anyone benchmarked WAN replication of our beloved Veeam with some feature of Acronis?
is there something similar, as feature and mainly performance?

thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1568 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: veeam Vs acronis - WAN acceleration

Post by Dima P. »

Hello,

Could you please clarify what Acronis product you are referring to? Thank you.
dgatta
Influencer

Post by dgatta »

hi Dimitry
I think both to acronis b&r and vm protect

One prospect is evaluating both (Acronis and Veeam) and i need to clarify differences for my part.
Thanks
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Davide,

If we are talking about WAN acceleration feature there is no such functionality in both Acronis products, or at least I am not aware. For the user's thoughts, I suggest looking into this two topics Acronis vmprotect 8 vs Veeam 6.5, a bit outdated since we released v7 but still valid

Also Opinion of Veeam vs. Acronis

If you need detailed comparison on solutions please contact our system engineers and they would help you to make the right choice.

Thank you.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Post by Gostev »

He is asking about WAN replication, as per his first post.

Davide, take a look at Acronis forums. You will find multiple statements from users that their replication is not suited for WAN. It works OK for local replication, but not over WAN due to its poor architecture. I encourage you to search the Acronis forums for this feedback.

Thanks!
dgatta
Influencer

Post by dgatta »

Anton

I have to admin that it is not easy to put in a forum what one has in mind as a doubt for day, so I try to better explain.
I have already read post about veeam vs acronis but i am not interested in knowing that it works or it does not work: it is not what I am looking for.

For what I realized, WAN acceleration feature of Veeam (not replication, Dear Anton) is something that can be compared to some hardware device (Netscaler or Riverbed).
so if I have to compare Veeam and Acronis I have to think to Standard version (the one without WAN replication). in my scenario I have to think to compare Enterprise Plus with a Riverbed (or a similar Component) and my question is: for what you know, is there something comparable? or can be Enterprise Plus compared with Acronis (B&R or Vmprotect)?

Hope this can be more clear and obvious as it is for me.

thanks

ps: where is problem if my first question is about WAN acceleration?
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Davide,
Please take a look at the Veeam B&R v7 editions here. WAN acceleration is available only in the Enterprise Plus edition of Veeam Backup & Replication.
WAN acceleration feature of Veeam is something that can be compared to some hardware device (Netscaler or Riverbed).
The WAN acceleration works only for Veeam data transfers across the WAN: if you need to copy your backups to an offsite location with backup copy job, WAN accelerator can determine what data blocks are already there and send less data across the WAN connection. However, Netscaler or Riverbed solutions provide “global” traffic acceleration between locations.
in my scenario I have to think to compare Enterprise Plus with a Riverbed (or a similar Component) and my question is: for what you know, is there something comparable?
By being “content aware” – and with what is effectively an infinite cache (source and target backup repositories) – built-in WAN Accelerator does not need to “learn” and cache traffic patterns like a general purpose WAN accelerator does. This is what makes Veeam WAN acceleration more efficient than a general purpose WAN accelerator.

I believe you can set up a backup copy job with WAN acceleration built in Veeam B&R v7, and set up backup copy job without WAN acceleration but instead using Riverbed or Netscaler – and compare the traffic I/O on both ends. That would be the only possible comparison.
or can be Enterprise Plus compared with Acronis (B&R or Vmprotect)?
Enterprise or Enterprise Plus should be used in order to compare all the features of the product, as from my understanding Acronis does have only one edition with all the functionality included (for both vmProtect and B&R) so it would be fair to compare full versions of the products to each other.
dgatta
Influencer

Post by dgatta »

Thanks Dimitry

I am aware that WAN acceleration is available only in Enterprise Plus Edition.
what you say is enough now for my doubts

Thanks